NuForce STA 200

Hi, everyone! I need some inputs here. I am shopping for a Amplifier and came to know NuForce STA 200. Is it a good amp? What is a pre-amp recommended to go with it? I called the seller, the guy said he recommended any “decent” Parasound pre-amp. What do you think? If I buy the amp, for now, will use it to run my Klipsch R28F and will use my Onkyo TA-8555 as pre-amp. 
justinpham2012
I recently purchased a Nuforce STA200 based on this thread. Other solid state amps I’ve had:

TAD Hibachi monoblocks
NAD M22
Paradigm Active 40 v2 (active speakers)
Simaudio I5 (integrated)
Anthem Integrated 2

Current setup is as follows:

PMC OB1 speakers
NAD M51 DAC
Doge 8 preamp (w/ re-issue Genalex 12AT7)
Rel T7 subwoofer

Out of the box the amp was hot on the high end. Over the course of the past 3 days the highs have tamed a bit and the sound is more balanced. The NAD M22 was probably the smoothest amp I’ve had, with the Anthem Integrated being the darkest. The Paradigm speakers had better dynamics, but the level of detail does not match the Nuforce amp. In fact, it’s really not close. The PMC speakers are known to work better with lots of power (PMC uses Bryston as a reference) but considering the size of my living room, the Nuforce has enough ooomph.

Overall I’m very happy with the STA200 and will report back once the amp has broken in further. For $500 from Audio Advisor, it is certainly worth the price. I was not expecting the quality of sound that this amp produces. For $500 I can't think of anything else in the price range that can compete. The level of detail bests the Simaudio I5, which is an extremely highly regarded integrated.

Nothing Bryston or Simaudio makes can be had for $500. Odyssey, McCormack, Electrocompaniet and Naim are amp manufacturers that play in this league of sound quality, and none of them can be had on the second hand market for $500. No the STA200 is not perfect. Compared to active speakers the dynamics don't compare, but the overall presentation is fantastic. If there are other amps that can be purchased for $500 that compare to the Nuforce please share your experiences.

jeenam, I am surprised about your STA200 sounding a bit hot on the high end, mine was/is not.

But the reason I am writing is that as mentioned in other threads the STA200 is fairly high gain, and with my tube preamp I was able to turn the volume control up much less than before. At another’s recommendation I purchased the Schitt Sys (volume control) for about $50. It does not plug in, and its between my preamp and amp. I love being able to use whatever range on my volume control I would like.

Jetter - I previously ran a Schiit Sys with Paradigm Active 40 v2 and Active 450LR and it is a good deal for $50. The hot in the highs can probably be attributed to the Doge pre and Genalex tubes. Attenuation of the signal is not an issue as the NAD M51 DAC's 35-bit depth allows for up to ~55db of attenuation without affecting signal quality.
Received my sta 200 today. I push the power button and as soon as I let go of the power button the power goes out.  Actually, the power never really comes on or stays on. Anyone else have this issue?