It is hard enough buying new speakers, let alone older speakers to use as an upgrade

The above subject title about the potential difficult in  purchasing an older speaker, that is, a speaker that is at least 10-15 years old (and now discontinued) but garnered very good to excellent reviews when it came to market. I have often seen good reviews and personal recommendations for Linn's Magik 140 speaker and the Joseph Audio RM-25si Signature II. speaker, both approximately in the same or close to the same retail price, but no longer available.

It would be an audiophile's dream to have a small warehouse to store several of these overachievers so as to audition them. Another speaker, I have come across for sale on AG and elsewhere (and is far more expensive) is the Vandersteen Treo, a beautiful looking speaker that reviewed well, but was discontinued in favor of the Treo CT , and now I think the "Vandy" 5a  Its main caveat like several of Vandersteen's models is difficulty getting the room placement dialed in as a consequence of the use of first order crossovers. The original Treo (used) would be at the outer limits of my budget,.... but how might the Linn and Joseph Audio speakers mentioned above, measure up in overall value.

sunnyjim
Post removed 
I concur with clyde1f's comment. I own a pair of ADS 1590's - they STILL sound great, even after decades of use.       

Thank you to members who have responded so far.

To rpeluso:  I read several times over a number of years about the placement problems created by first order crossover networks in terms a precise distance between listener and speakers.

To stringreen 4.  Yes, I am sure Vandersteen is waiting by the phone to talk to customers

About 10 years ago, I purchased a new pair of his C1 speakers. I called him to explain the rake angle adjustment, and made the mistake of saying that the one page blue instruction manual  sheet was unremarkable. Well, he got mad, and he took me to the woodshed for a verbal beating. Goes without saying, I was turned off, but after a few of my own adjustments to the speaker, they sounded good for the price range they were in at the time

To Elisabeth, Thanks for the advice, but I have more sense to have a 200 lbs pair of speakers shipped to the West Coast from New Jersey. As I mentioned to a seller of another pair of Vandy Treos posted on U.S..Audio Mart  who lives in Illinois, the used audiophile market does not have an official return policy if you find that you either don't like the sound, or placement problems negate the full potential of the speakers.

Regarding, the Linn Magik 140 mentioned above....they retailed for $2995 in 2007, and the  seller is asking $2000  for them. So that eliminates them. The Joseph Audio seller is 500 miles away, and his selling price is either a take it or leave decision for me 

As jperry1 offered:  buy the speakers, and if you don't like them, then sell them. Sounds like good advice, for speakers between $1000-$2000, but not for a $4000-$5000 speakers ( which generally I would think would be keepers)

Thanks,

S.J

One thing about older speakers , most likely the capacitors start drying out .as a rule of thumb. ,I always rebuild orhave assistance 
rebuilding the Xover, usually the entire Xover,for most companies use average parts at best, and wiring if not topgrade, and condition of 
drivers ,and brand ,for it may need to be replaced and you would need a driver  that would fit the frequency response close to that driver.  These are things to take into consideration .
@audioman58 , yes and then there's the question of foam surrounds. I'm not sure about modern variations but most of them used to start rotting after a decade or so.

Re-foaming a pair of 4-5K loudspeakers is not for the nervous of hand. Luckily, there are still some talented people out there able to do it to high standards.