Turntable upgraditis

I have a Thorens TD166II that I bought new in about 1984. I've upgraded the leads, dampened the deck, and replaced the platter with a higher mass one. The arm is original, and I'm using a Grado Silver cartridge.

As I've had this guy for coming up on 25 years, I'm a bit attached to it. I also periodically get the urge to upgrade. I've been wondering about the VPI Scout, ClearAudio Basic, and the other turntables in the $2000 range. The TD166 was an entry level turntable in 1984, as the VIP and ClearAudio are now. I'm wondering if replacing the TD166 with a new entry level table would mean that I'm spending two grand to update the looks of my system, rather than making a huge effect in the sound of it.

Are the entry level turntables of today significantly better than those of the 80s? Would I be better off getting a newer table or just upgrading the cartridge on what I have? (The rest of my system is newer: Audion phono; Cary SP98 pre; Cary Rocket 88; Dali Grand Diva; mostly AZ cables.)

Thanks!
abysmillard
You can update a design to the latest technology or... you can go back in time and buy a Thorens TD-124, which also is an upgrade. So I agree with Grimace: new is not always better.

Chris
Maybe upgrade cartridge---I've heard (no pun intended) that cartridge changes make the biggest difference in sound and probably least expensive route unless you go the price is no object, handmade carts with rare wood bodies--there's always that route.
I had the same exact table with a dynavector 10x4.   was great.  but the VPI scout is in another league.

go for it you will not regret it.