Phono Stage Opinions

I have an Audio Research LS 7 Preamp also a Technics SA 300 Receiver.
I tried the receiver phono stage on the AR preamp and it sounds decent.
Should I purchase an inexpensive phono stage or use this one ?
Thank you
rocky1313
Sweet! If sounds good than don't worry, can't even think of what to suggest at your price point. I know the Gold Note PH-10 is so versatile it accepts to turntables and does MM or MC cartridges with many possible settings but it also is about $1000 more than you want to spend. I'd say just enjoy what you have and maybe save for something like the PH-10.
"it sounds decent"

Trust your ears. You answered your own question.

The built in will sound better than any $250+ stand alone box.

Subjectively, you may need to spend considerably more. If changing things up are important, I would look  for a nice High output MC Oor MMin that price range.

Better yet, just buy and listen to more records.

@rocky1313 is the SL-1600 a mk2 or mk1? The mk2 is a very nice turntable. Either would work very nicely with a modest cartridge upgrade to an Audio Technica VM540ML, which is a mid-high compliance moving magnet design. As for the phono stage, I’d say stick with the in-built preamp on the SA-300 receiver if you like the sound. It might benefit from replacing the caps and resistors with new, 1% precision tolerance parts. Another direction that you could explore is the excellent NAD PP2 phono preamp. I would recommend an upgraded power supply like I did (a 2 amp 24vdc regulated power supply of my own design with massive filter caps, which really cleans up the noise floor and improves dynamic range. I’ve also upgraded the op-amp to a Burson discrete V6 Classic Duo, and wired the input with balanced wire all the way from the turntable with XLR connections. A little more than you asked for, but fun if you’re good with the soldering iron.