DIY - Two kits using similar tweeter to Tekton

Hi Everyone,

There is a lot more to a speaker quality and sound than the brand of tweeter, but I wanted to get you excited about the idea of making your own. I try to post nice DIY projects or kits I find around the web every now and then. Every audiophile should build at least 1 pair of speakers in their lifetime!

Madisound in the US is now carrying a pair of kits, a 2-way and a 2.5 way from SB Acoustics. A very find Danish designer/Indonesian manufacturer trying to give ScanSpeak a run for their money for less.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-kits/satori-ara-2-way-speaker-kit-pair/

The normal markup on drivers in the store is 10:1. If you buy the complete kit you pay 4:1, so a big savings. These are very well liked parts, and the tweeter is uber smooth. This is not the kit to buy if you are enamored of Golden Ear or B&W or Dynaudio.

One big advantage of buying a kit like this is part rolling. You can buy it as is, and then try your hands with any exotic capacitor you like.

Also introduced recently is the 2.5 way design, with cabinets:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/satori-rinjani-2.5-way-speaker-kit-pair/

Best,

E
erik_squires

Thanks much Erik.

The pair I'm looking at have the 'upgraded crossover' - (I assume Madisound's definition) although I'm not sure exactly what parts that might mean.  The review I read (audioexpress?) focused more on the 2.5 way floorstander.  Did you think these prefer tubes or solid state?

@keithtexas 

Build them first, I think you'll find them pretty warm sounding, and capable of handling just about anything music-wise. 

Best,

E

Eric,

The pair I'm considering are already built; I would be buying used from the guy that built the kit.

Thanks,

Keith 

Eric,

I have read a number of your post here and appreciate your opinion.
The kits you have suggested are in the price range of KEF LS50"s which I own and think sound wonderful (I am using a sub woofer with them). Does the stand mount version compare favorably with the KEF? I am not sure about the value part of the equation, LS50's have a resale value but the kit would have be a tough sell on the used market.

I do not know much about driver cost at a OEM level, but believe KEF makes their own drivers and cabinets.  The Satori drivers and crossover cost is $700 and the cabinets are the same for a total of $1500. KEF sells their speakers to dealers and I am not sure if they are set up in the US as direct to dealers or if they have their own warehouse that sells to dealers. So that is two step distribution and possibly three steps, some must pay every time the product is touched. I do not know if Madisound buys from Satori or a distributor making it two or three steps. What do you guess  KEF has into their LS50 cost wise?

Could you comment on the value part of equation and the sound quality also?

I mean this sincerely:

I simply do not know how  you can sell a speaker at retail for less than 10x the wholesale driver cost. 

Wholesale can be up to half of retail pricing, and it's even cheaper if you make your own drivers. 

Focal produced some excellent slides talking about what goes into value. The money a buyer would pay for speakers. 

Audible performance was one of 5 or more different attributes. Brand recognition, modernity, aesthetics, etc. all play a role in increasing retail value. 

So, you are right. If you are looking for an investment, you are much better buying a Rolex. 

On the other hand, if you are going to be happy with these speakers for a decade and pay a third of what this quality would buy you in the store, this is the way to go. :) 

Most importantly, you have to be a bit of an iconoclast. You have to trust your ears and heart when you listen. 

Best,

E