SAT Comparison

MF has kindly provided unidentified needledrops of 2 new versions of the SAT arm (incl one priced at $48K).
These can be found in the latest entries on his Analog Planet web page.

Listening to the first few seconds of each track on iPad speakers I found the “winner” (for me at least...) to be “1” followed by “3” then “2” with “4” the least preferred.

Just for fun, I invited my wife, who has no audio experience or interest whatsoever, who knew nothing about the files or the hardware or anyone else’s preferences, named her order of preference as 1-3-2-4, again listening to only the first few seconds of each file. Unlike myself she didn’t need 1-3/2-3 double checks she just identified them straight off. Impressive!

I wouldn’t be so rash as to assume that “1” was the most expensive “SAT” or that “2” was the original model.
(For the sake of the expensive model I would hope so! ;)
See what you think...

It’ll be interesting to know what the wildcard “4” turns out to be...

moonglum
Just for fun, I invited my wife, who has no audio experience or interest whatsoever, who ... identified them straight off. Impressive!
Women's hearing is famously superior. It goes way back the evolutionary timeline. Women, especially with children, were extremely vulnerable to predators if the male was away hunting. Hearing is the most acute survival sense, especially in discriminating sounds. The snapping of a twig can tell her if it's a small harmless animal or a big dangerous one. Eyesight is hampered if there are trees, rocks, tall grass, and it's useless at night; smell depends on wind direction. Dogs became our companions in large part because their hearing was even more acute.
Which is why my wife can always hear the phone conversation,when I am planning to go out for a drink with friends. However, she often cannot hear me when I ask what’s for dinner.
Conversely, when my wife is questioning me, I can never hear a word she says! ;D :D
Let's keep bumping this thread until Fremer reveals what tonearm was on what recording and how that contrasts with listener preferences.  I personally am far too jaded and lazy to listen for myself, but I am interested in how the $48,000-SAT will fare compared to others.  The price has got to be someone's definition of chutzpah.