Going to Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - any advice

So I’ve always wanted to try an event like this. The only other person I know who’s into audio like I am is my best friend from high school back in 1989. In fact I got him into audio, and it just so happens he’s looking for a new pair of speakers in the $10k range. 

Like most of us we are limited by the brick and motar stores that are near us. In my case that’s amounts to zero stores near me.  So I suggested we go to the RMAF and we agreed and so we are off in a few weeks!

Not sure what to expect, but I’m hoping to hear systems I’ve only read about for years and it will be interesting to see how my mail order system will stack up. 

Any my suggestions from festival old hats?  Did I pick a good one to go to?
last_lemming
Take a pocket notebook.  Log the rooms you like with the room number and exhibitor.  Make a list of components on demonstration.  
Then write notes as to what aspects you liked or things that didn’t sound quite right.
If you are contemplating speakers, make a note as to placements.  This may provide some idea 
I have gone every year since it’s inception and most years have been really good. My advice is get there early and start on the top floor of the north tower. The elevators are the Achilles heel of the show. Use the stairs to work your way down between floors. This save at least an hour of waiting on the elevators.

Make your plans for each floor floor and visit the rooms you want to. Be careful not to get sucked into some sales pitch in a room where you really have no interest. The hardest part for me is some rooms are so crowded it is hard to get a seat and just as hard to get answers to questions if they are carrying a conversation with another patron. You hate to be rude but you find that some people are naturals.

But the show can be fun and informative. Some rooms will sound exceptional and others may have great equipment but not sound good if they are limited in set up options based on the room. I live in Colo and we have had the hottest summer I can recall in 60 plus years. The problem this creates is they may keep keep the AC off to keep the noise down. Hotel rooms are small and 10-15 people plus equipment can heat a room up beyond comfort. Drink plenty of water, but know where the restrooms are. Most rooms won’t let you use the restrooms in the rooms as they stuffed with equipment boxes.

But you will enjoy the show especially if you have never been before.
i know I plan to go, oh one more note, if the Broncos are playing Sunday it can reduce attendance but some vendors break down early.

Have fun and safe travels
You'll have a great time!  As has been alluded to...check out the exhibitor list/map and plan whom you'd like to see/hear starting at the upper floor and working toward the ground floor.  Take the stairs if you can.  :-)
last_lemming:

All the rooms will have a somewhat tight constricted sound on Friday as all the connections are still settling in. The rooms will sound much better late Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

It is lots of fun to see and hear equipment and audio people we have read about.

You have a nice system. If you have not upgraded you wall outlet, You might want to give your system a present and buy a Synergistic Research Blue outlet while at the show. They come with a 30 day return policy if you do not like it. Think of it as the vacation Tee Shirt you are bringing back to your system.

Synergistic Research is on the fifth floor . Also on that floor will be High Water Sound. Jeff Catalano always has one of the best sounding vinyl set ups at any show. He is an audio legend and the nicest guy to meet.
 Bring your favorite album and he will play a track-no matter what it is. 

You will only be able to see about 20 % of what is available so don't worry about what you miss.

David Pritchard