CD ripping for the lower end.

I have a decent hifi system. I listen to CDs mostly. Thinking about going modestly digital just to test the waters. Right now I have an old iMac that will be my server. It is too old for all current ripping and cataloging software so it will probably be iTunes for ripping and playing. I will use Apple Remote on my cell phone which is a fairly capable remote at this level and works with the older version of iTunes on this old iMac.This is all probably commensurate with the entry level DAC I just got used off eBay, a Schiit Modi 2 Uber. I’ll get a Monoprice USB cable for it. I’ve got some high end RCA cables for DAC to Pre-amp.

If this works out okay and the SQ is tolerable I might step things up and use my MacBook Pro in which case I could get dBpoweramp for ripping and something to bypass iTunes for playback. Might even upgrade the DAC.

The first question I have is that for right now, what format should I rip the CDs to? Space is not a big concern. I’ve only got about 150 CDs and won’t rip them all. The primary consideration would be sound quality and future ’portability’ if I move up to higher end DAC and all that.

The second question is should I use my MacBook or new iMac to rip using dBpoweramp and then move the files to the old iMac?

Thanks for your help.

George
n80
Thanks guys. A couple of things:

I know that CDs are digital. I was around when they came out. I guess what I don’t know is what the proper term is for using a computer to store and play digital files. I’m sure there must be a catchy phrase for that or at least a confusing acronym that assures the instant recognition of noobs. ;-)

And even though it might be not be apparent, I also get the difference between lossless and lossy, compressed and non-compressed. Image files are analogous and I’m fairly well versed in that. What confused me is that audioengr said there is a slight loss of SQ with FLAC vs WAV and I’m not sure why that would be the case and have not been able to confirm that this is true doing a little more research. So I’m still curious about that.

Also, in terms of metadata, I don’t need much. Album title, artist, track names and times. That’s about it. Cover art would be nice but not critical.

Appreciate references to various apps but again, the old iMac is not going to support any of them. So for now, iTunes is my only option. Those apps will be options if the old MacBook Pro gets that job later. It is 10 years old but will run most of the software mentioned above, which I have noted and will look into.

And it sounds like I will be best served ripping the CDs on my MacBook using XLD and then transferring them to the old iMac. It also sounds like AIFF is going to be the best bet for me since my metadata needs are pretty minimal.

I will probably have all these files on a portable HD so when I move up to the MacBook I can play them through Audirvana or Amarra.

But finally, why the hate for iTunes for someone with modest requirements? (Not arguing, just asking, and in regard to iTunes my only concern would be sound quality....my library will be small and as mentioned, metadata requirements will be minimal).

Thanks for all the help.

George

Post removed 
+1 for XLD

Rip to aiff

iTunes is underrated by many.  The iTunes remote works great. 

Good plan and zero $ risk.

So doing some research and considering advice given here my current plan is:

Get XLD (free) for MacBook.
Rip to AIFF onto external HD.
Use iMac/iTunes (free) via Schiit Modi 2 Uber (paid $110) for now.

Purchase Bitperfect ($10) now. Compare SQ with Bitperfect from MacBook vs iMac with iTunes. 

If big difference, stick with Bitperfect for a while with plan to try out Audirvana and Amarra.

At some point consider Schiit Modi Multibit ($250 new). That will probably be my endpoint since CDs are still my primary medium.

Great advice from Audiogon, thanks,

George
George, I understand where you are coming from as I traveled the same road not too long ago. The main difference is I am not using an Apple product to use as a server. I now use a NAS and run through window machines (several) running JRiver on them all.

After first ripping in a compressed flac I ended up re-ripping in a non-compressed flac files as space was not an issue when I went to the NAS. This option is not available to you (flac) with the powerbook. Whatever format you end up ripping to just make sure it is uncompressed as any can be convered later if necessary. It will be easier than re-ripping as I ended up doing...