Solid State vs. Tubes - What if Transistors came first?

What do you guys think?

If transistors came first, and then decades later tubes were invented, would we have any tube amps we would call high end?

Wouldn’t they all fail to reach the height of performance and transparency set by transistor amps?

Best,

E

P.S. I love Conrad Johnson. I'm just wondering how  much of our arguments have to do with timing. 
erik_squires
Huh, guys, thanks for compliments. I am not sure that I am that righteous, but the bar is not set that high so I am not too bad. More like a dive bar, I would say.

geoffkait,

"I’m pretty sure in real life he’s a priest or bishop or something."
Everybody is "something" so you are somewhat right about me.

If you are talking about my profession, I am neither a priest, nor a bishop. I do, at times, have to act in that capacity to some extent, though. You know, improvising during some unexpected imperfect times. Kind of like dealing with you.
I believe a few points are being missed here:

1)  Tubes are analog.  Are we all suddenly forgetting that one of the foremost Hi Quality values in  audiophile sound is the $12k Range Analog Pass Labs XA60.8 and predecessor XA60.5?  Despite all the accolades to the Solid State Pass Labs X series in the same price range, personally, I've never come across a Pass Labs owner or Pro-Reviewer that dared to compare the sound quality of the Solid State X Series to its price competitor XA Series.  Yes,,,they are different power groups, but I'm speaking strictly from the sound quality perspective.  While everything is debatable, if it is mostly accepted that Audio Quality Analog from Pass Labs is pretty much King at its price points, is it not a reasonable assertion that Analog Tubes are (1) not crud, (2) at least competitive with Solid State depending on build quality/design/company, and (3) even at times superior to Solid State, again, depending on build quality/design/company.

2)  The posted A / B blind by Peter Walker of Quad Audio which is referenced earlier in this discussion had to be 20 years ago, if not more.  Paul Walker died in 2003.  Holy Cow, look at how far Tube has come since then...heck, look at how far Tube has come in the past 5 years.  Yes,,,,Solid State has had quite the advances as well, but honestly,,,in the past 5-10 years its been speakers that have taken off in sound reproduction improvements, while some of the same GREAT Solid State Amps from 2000-2005 are still amongst the best amps in their price range today.  the only real advances (save a very few unique Uber hi end such as Pass Labs X series or $10k + arena in general) in Solid State have been in efficiency and smaller size (Class D, Class G, etc), but not any gleaming change in ultimate sound reproduction improvement for the market Solid State market as a whole.  But to compare some great sub $10k tubes of today to 10 years ago shows glaring improvements in definition, dynamic range, ultimate power output, lifespan, etc.  So if they were equals 20+ years ago.....
The only real difference is that those 147 paid attention and thought about the subject.

Children are born naturally curious to learn and stay that way if they are fortunate unlike our favorite child here, know-it-all GK, of course.
“It’s so charming when one troll has another troll’s back.“

Yes, isn’t it. 👀🃏🤡