VPI Prime or Scout or ???

Hi all,

I’m new to record players. I’ve always been a digital music person. That said, I’ve got s nice setup now and am looking for a record player for occasional records. I won’t be too serious about it and digital will remain my main source.

i know with some of the higher end players there is a learning curve but was hoping for something not too difficult to learn.

Being from NJ, I was pretty interested in VPI. I’m not sure I quite understand the differences between the Prime and Prime Scout. The Prime would probably be near the top of my budget. Also, I have no idea which cartridge to get. 

For context, I’ll mostly be listening to vintage jazz and rock. The turntable would feed into the Phono stage of my Mytek Manhattan. Any suggestions welcome! There is a pretty good deal on a Prime Scout I’m looking at so that’s why I figured I’d ask the experienced people here.
Ag insider logo xs@2xmayoradamwest
@mayoradamwest - Yes, it will sound much better than a similarly priced rega.  
I upgraded from a VPI HW-19 Jr/Rega RB-300 arm (which was the last turntable I was going to own) to my Scout 2 (older model) the current last TT I would ever own (heh).

ANY VPI (practically) will give you a simple, nice performing TT that will last and allow for upgrading.

I originally wanted a Prime but size constraints held me back. 

The Prime likely will yield better sound, all things even but it depends on your financial and physical constraints.

Good luck!
If you go with VPI and a unipivot tonearm make sure when you set the tracking force the scale is very close to the height of the of the surface of the albums you will be playing.

With this style of tonearm if the scale platform is 5 or 6 mm higher than the record surface then actual tracking force will be lower than what you measure. 

It is explained in the set up video mentioned above.
you may need to see it in person to appreciate the precision of the technics design.