How do you store and catalog your vinyl?

Just curious how members store, sort and catalog their vinyl collection.
With less than a 1000 I have a hard time remembering just what I already own and have purchased duplicates by mistake whilst at the LRS.

How do you store them?
How do you sort them? Alphabetical or genre or year?
Catalog? In the good old days probably in a note book modern equivalent would be a word document or excel spreadsheet.

Very interested to hear what you do and how you manage that massive collection.
128x128uberwaltz
Discogs is great.  Been using the app for a couple years now.  Just snap a shot of the UPS code or input the catalogue number....add record to your library.  A new app update was just released.  Everything I own is catalogued in Discogs.  It also makes for a great conversation piece when someone says, "Hey, I understand you buy records."  "Why yes....yes I do.  Would you like to see my collection?"  Pull out the app and go to town.  Make sure your phone is charged.  They'll get lost in your collection.....seriously.  

All of my records reside in Boltz LP racks.  Very study....solid steel.  All records slipped in MoFi sleeves and 4mil thick outer sleeves.  Records are sorted by band/artist name. 
I have ~2500 LPs & for simplicity & versatility, file similarly to many distribution warehouses:

Using Ikea shelving, I have 4 rows x 6 columns, ie 24 cubes filling part of the music room wall. These are labelled A-D on the rows & 1-6 on the columns.

I keep a spreadsheet with all artists listed alphabetically & just mark which cube they are in ie A3, C1, D5 etc. Albums by that artist always go in the same cube & it's really fast to find anything. Otherwise new LPs just go into the next available cube, randomly by genre or artist name.

This saves reorganising things in a more conventional A-Z setup when new LPs are purchased and an existing cube is already full so everything to the right of that needs to be moved.
That does sound a decent idea as yes when I buy new albums I am sorting alpha and when a cube is full then have to start shifting more albums over which can then have a serious knock on effect!

Had a purchase of just 3 albums cause 1 hours worth of moving and rethinking other albums!
I create a relational database that ties in to online meta-data sources, then I painstakingly scan my album art and create tags for music category, performers, composers, production information, release dates, etc.  When I want to listen to an album, I grab one off the shelf.
I have about 5,000 LPs.

They are stored on shelving that consists of 42 cubes, 15 x 15. I built them myself.

They are divided into into three more or less equal sized categories: classical, Afro Cuban, and everything else.

The classical is divided into early (pre-baroque), classical, modern (Alban Berg, Schoenberg etc and after), then arranged alphabetically by composer, then by date composed.

Afro Cuban is arranged alphabetically by artist, then by date of release.

Everything else is divided into jazz, blues, gospel, folk, world, reggae, Afro-pop, country and 50s-80s rock n’ roll, rock, then arranged alphabetically by artist, then by date of release.

Some LPs can fall into one or more categories, I make a call and hope I remember. Eg aretha is both rock and gospel.

The 200 78s are arranged alphabetically.

As for inventory, I am in the process of photographing each LP cover, front and back, on my iPhone. I’ll download them into a document that I will notate regarding condition etc.

i tend to listen to the same 700 or so regularly. About 3,000 get listened to less regularly. About 500 are there because a guest will ask to hear it. About 700 need to go.