How do you store and catalog your vinyl?

Just curious how members store, sort and catalog their vinyl collection.
With less than a 1000 I have a hard time remembering just what I already own and have purchased duplicates by mistake whilst at the LRS.

How do you store them?
How do you sort them? Alphabetical or genre or year?
Catalog? In the good old days probably in a note book modern equivalent would be a word document or excel spreadsheet.

Very interested to hear what you do and how you manage that massive collection.
128x128uberwaltz

noromance, record store style is tempting, but it takes up MUCH more space than does bookcase style storage.

As for genre-organizing, I don’t like to think of music in those terms. Is Dylan Folk? Rock? Folk-Rock? Americana? How about Ry Cooder---Blues? Zydeco? Cuban? Bill Frisell---Jazz, Americana, Fusion? Danny Gatton---Rockabilly? Jazz? Blues?

The answer to all the above is yes!

@uberwaltz @bdp24 Yes, it takes up a lot of space - along one wall of the basement. I couldn’t have it any other way. It can be like browsing a store and not knowing what you might find. The genres are simple: jazz, blues, folk, rock, musicals, classical, and indie. Memory of where the albums are also helps.
noromance, so the idea behind genre-organization is that you regularly find yourself desiring to hear music of a specific genre? Being able to flip through albums and see the covers is very appealing, I must admit. But I barely have room for my bookcase-style LP and CD storage in my music room! Both side walls are completely covered, leaving space only for my speakers and equipment racks on the front wall, and my listening chair on the rear. I need a bigger room, which may be in my future.
I've cleaned a bunch of my vinyl and only play those (and clean as needed from the rest), allowing just those to escape the clutches of my having alphabetized everything. So there's two categories among my vinyl: Clean and random, and not cleaned but organized.
@bdp24 Not quite. It is the laziest way of grouping the records! Seriously, Because they are in record store style layout, I just pick what I want. I couldn't do bookcase. It would drive me nuts. Sometimes albums go AWOL. I have the entire basement with the primary rig, pool table area, workshop area, and rec area with 2nd rig.