How do you store and catalog your vinyl?

Just curious how members store, sort and catalog their vinyl collection.
With less than a 1000 I have a hard time remembering just what I already own and have purchased duplicates by mistake whilst at the LRS.

How do you store them?
How do you sort them? Alphabetical or genre or year?
Catalog? In the good old days probably in a note book modern equivalent would be a word document or excel spreadsheet.

Very interested to hear what you do and how you manage that massive collection.
128x128uberwaltz
I have always catalogued mine by genre but it doesn’t reflect how I actually use lp’s. That said, I have considered organizing them more aspirationally, or event-driven. In other words; what is the goal I am trying to achieve?

More often than not I am finding I do things like comparisons of recordings to show the differences between labels and live or studio recordings. I also find that I play my lp’s according to the mood I am seeking....walks down a memory lane, parties, dancing, sit-down cerebral, amping up my mood or relaxing...

Organizng by the above may not be realistic as it would require me to re-evaluate each lp. If I ever find I have the time to put toward it, I may make a run at it.
Very basically by genre. What I love though, is that I have them stored in a record store style so I can easily flip through them. I could not do bookcase style storage.
There is definitely a LOT of thought and effort going into some peoples collection and organization of the same.
@noromance.
I like the idea of doing record store style but that must take up a lot of floorspace if you have a large collection?

noromance, record store style is tempting, but it takes up MUCH more space than does bookcase style storage.

As for genre-organizing, I don’t like to think of music in those terms. Is Dylan Folk? Rock? Folk-Rock? Americana? How about Ry Cooder---Blues? Zydeco? Cuban? Bill Frisell---Jazz, Americana, Fusion? Danny Gatton---Rockabilly? Jazz? Blues?

The answer to all the above is yes!

@uberwaltz @bdp24 Yes, it takes up a lot of space - along one wall of the basement. I couldn’t have it any other way. It can be like browsing a store and not knowing what you might find. The genres are simple: jazz, blues, folk, rock, musicals, classical, and indie. Memory of where the albums are also helps.