Can Streamed Music Sound Better than any other source?

I am about to make the leap. Jumping into a Server or is it a Streamer? To use existing DAC-Oppo 203- or upgrade? I love the concept of access to all the music on line. So I don't actually own any of it-thats fine. Buying downloads adds up quickly. $20/month sounds like a bargain.  Roon's system looks appealing. I can add Tidal and be done, right? I get a lot of great counsel from my old school expert at the HiFi store I support locally but he can't even spell stream.
I was born in the 50's and want to use this listening option now. As this technology is still evolving, I am not inclined to overspend on gear that may be as valuable as a VCR in a year or two.
In the end I want to know if I can have this new source sounding better than CDs and LPs. I am not going back to reel-to-reel so if that is best source, please ignore it as it regards my purposes.
Thank you. I look forward to learning from the responses!!
128x128firstnot
This has been covered a hundred or more times here. I suggest you do a deep dive and read similar threads.
Long story short, streaming, especially with Tidal & Roon can sound pretty good, but not as good as streaming high rez or well recorded CD files that are stored in a NAS(network attached store), basically a big hard drive that you attach to your router. The files online just are not large enough and high enough quality to equal what you can use otherwise. Using the same network player aka streaming device and software, play your own files instead.
Ideally the NAS(Synology & Qnap are the two leading brands of NAS) will be in a different room than the audio rig including the network player and DAC which will feed into a line input on your preamp. If you can use a long ethernet cable to connect the NAS to your network player, all the better; otherwise use wifi or an A/C line adapter to extend the connection to your audio room. You can use a Mac or PC as the network player with a good software music playing package made just for the job(e.g. Audirvana+ on Mac or many others), and get far better performance than streaming files from an online service. But in my experience with lots of this stuff, a low powered device made just for streaming, ideally using a linear power supply, does the job best. Their are many good ones at varying prices, a few to consider include the Sonore MicroRendu, Aurelic Aries & Aries Mini, NAD, Bryston )Cheers,
Spencer
Post removed 
I would say that is a matter of opinion as one who has given up turntables and never looked back. My pal has a turntable that cost with arm and cartridge over £40.000 and at a tenth of that price I am listening to 24/96 streams that are every bit as detailled as his and not a tenth of the bother.
Thanks to everyone who had an opinion and was willing to share it.
I am at the crossroads of choosing which source to upgrade. For now
my downloaded thumb drives are by far the best source I have.
This is why I lean toward trying streaming. I don't think I want to start
building a great Phono system when it can cost $50 to buy one quality
LP. I will read up on past threads but it seems this is a somewhat evolving technology so going back too far may be less useful.
Just be sure to consider streaming from your files as separate from streaming from online services. It's w shame that common vocabulary doesn't have two different verbs to distinguish between these. Driving your Lamborghini is quite different from "driving" a skateboard! Cheers, 
Spencer