Can Streamed Music Sound Better than any other source?

I am about to make the leap. Jumping into a Server or is it a Streamer? To use existing DAC-Oppo 203- or upgrade? I love the concept of access to all the music on line. So I don't actually own any of it-thats fine. Buying downloads adds up quickly. $20/month sounds like a bargain.  Roon's system looks appealing. I can add Tidal and be done, right? I get a lot of great counsel from my old school expert at the HiFi store I support locally but he can't even spell stream.
I was born in the 50's and want to use this listening option now. As this technology is still evolving, I am not inclined to overspend on gear that may be as valuable as a VCR in a year or two.
In the end I want to know if I can have this new source sounding better than CDs and LPs. I am not going back to reel-to-reel so if that is best source, please ignore it as it regards my purposes.
Thank you. I look forward to learning from the responses!!
128x128firstnot
I think that modern DAC's are overall a LOT better than DAC's 5-10 years ago, so the issues you might have had before are a lot less. 

The benefit of an all-in-one server are better buffering/lower jitter than using a streamer + DAC via S/PDIF. 

I use a USB dac for this reason.

Give it a try, I think you'll like the convenience and access a great deal, but if you love LP's you'll never feel it is "better." Just different. 
I love my streaming so much that I haven't touched my Gryphon CD player in almost a year and yes the sound quality is just as good as CD in my opinion. I user my PC which I built for the pupose and I have lots of jitter busting progams on it to make it super smooth going into a modified Oppo Sonica DAC. I use Quobuz as most of the other sreamers have a very limited Classical selection so they to me have about the best selection availlable. If you are not technically minded then I would suggest a server as it is purpose built for the job. I think Roon would be a good decision for you as it has great sound quallity and if classical music is not your bag then something like Tidal would be ideal for you.
I can understand your situation. I returned to hifi after a 30 year hiatus.
Streaming seemed like something I would never do, however, once I did it, I haven't opened a CD or LP in years.
My recommendation-
Get an Ayre Codex or Schiit Gungnir or Yggy as a DAC. If you need to stream to other rooms or need storage, you should get a Bluesound Node or Vault. You will spend less than $2K (buying used), and get a very capable system. And, that Ayre and Schiit offer upgrades to their products makes it better.
Bob