Small or large sub for music

I've been using a pair of Velodyne HGS-10s to supplement KEF LS50s below 50 Hz, but I read that larger subs are better for music because the cone needs excursion.  Is there any truth to this?  I have a pair of HGS-15s that I could use to supplement the LS50s or Reference 1s (below 40 Hz) if I go there.  The HGS-15s do HT superbly.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Hello mcreyn,

I'm generally against the use of bass traps and other room treatments that attempt to improve in-room bass response.  I much prefer reducing or eliminating the root cause of poor bass response in most rooms, the existence of bass standing sound waves that cause bass exaggeration, bass attenuation and even bass disappearance. at various specific room spots.
     I tend to view bass room treatments as misguided, similar to using air conditioners at specific spots to reduce the heat in a room that gets too hot on cold  days.  Just as a lack of room air circulation is often the root cause of poor room temperature control, a lack of room bass sound waves circulation is often the root cause of poor room bass control.

As I've stated ad nauseam previously, deploying  a 4 sub distributed bass array system is the only guaranteed method I've yet discovered that provides sota bass response in virtually any room. 

I also understand why you may not want to devote the funds and space required in your rather modest office system.  If this is the case, the best remedies I can think of for your bass peak and nulls in order of cost and room space are:

1.  Start from scratch and re-perform the procedure for locating your sub in a single sub system.  I know nothing about your actual office room, but I'm thinking  there's likely a better performing specific spot for your sub than its current position.  As you walk around your room searching for this spot. you may want to also check spots that are not solely along your walls.  Moving your sub even a few feet away from the wall could improve bass response at your listening position.

2.  If this is unsuccessful, my best advice is to consider using a second sub.  The use of 2 subs, if properly positioned, is the first remedy that will begin to reduce or eliminate some room bass standing waves that are the root cause of your room's bass issues.

3. Addiing 2 subs will further this attack on bass standing waves and improve bass response.

4. Add 3 subs and you'll attain sota bass performance not only at your listening seat but throughout your entire room.  The additional subs suggested in any of these remedies are not required to be of the same type, or even the same size or quality, as your existing sub.  The critical factor is that having 4 points launching bass sound waves into any room is scientifically verified to reduce or eliminate the vast majority of bass standing waves and will likely provide the best bass response you've lever heard.

Hope this helped a bit,
        Tim

Tim,

We are going to have to disagree.  The issue I have with my office is not a subwoofer issue, it is centered at 140hz, at which point a sub would be down over 20db assuming a normal 24db/octave low pass at 80hz.  It doesn't matter whether I am using 1,2, 3 or 4 subs, the huge mode I have is way outside of that range. 

In my office, I have 3 potential spots to put a single subwoofer.  I have measured all of them carefully and done the crawl, this is the best position of my choices. 

As far as room treatments, I believe that most rooms can benefit from them.  The speakers and their interaction with the room are by far the largest determining factor in sound.  I do believe in optimizing placement as a first step, but then what?  Most rooms have long decay times and the first reflection points are too close, causing image smearing and brightness.  $500-1000 in room treatments can transform how a system sounds.  There is very solid science behind the reasons for and how to treat a room.  You might find this article interesting:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/room-setup-case-study/

Finally, I think DSP is a great idea when placement and room treatments have not worked.  I see the three all working together as a system.  
sleepwalker65 wrote:
Subwoofers are a bad solution for inadequate speakers. They are mutually exclusive with high fidelity because they can never perfectly integrate. Some people and rappers don’t care about sound quality. Low-Fi is fine for them. For the rest of us, subwoofers only belong in the home theatre.

I guess it depends on what you mean by the term inadequate.  After 45 years of audio and hundreds of speakers (I used to be an  audio dealer and distributor) I have come to the conclusion that, for most rooms and most speaker designs, the concept of a "perfect" full range speaker is very hard to achieve; bordering on the impossible.

These days I play almost exclusively through tube components, SET and low output PP.  I have extensively tested many high efficiency, single driver speakers and find that, to my ears, limiting the driver size to 8" or smaller and mating to a pair of good sealed subs gives my more audio joy and sense of performance realism than the (many pairs) pf much more expensive "full range" speakers I have played and owned in the past.

It's true: getting the best sound out of a pair of standmount speakers and separate subs isn't easy.  It's a lot of work to get it just right.  But IMO it's worth it.

mcreyn:

" As far as room treatments, I believe that most rooms can benefit from them. The speakers and their interaction with the room are by far the largest determining factor in sound. I do believe in optimizing placement as a first step, but then what? Most rooms have long decay times and the first reflection points are too close, causing image smearing and brightness. $500-1000 in room treatments can transform how a system sounds. There is very solid science behind the reasons for and how to treat a room. You might find this article interesting:

http://www.gikacoustics.com/room-setup-case-study/

Finally, I think DSP is a great idea when placement and room treatments have not worked. I see the three all working together as a system."

Perhaps I wasn't clear but my comments were concerning the use of room treatments for optimizing in-room bass response, not midrange and treble response,  and their general futility. 
     I've come to the conclusion that it's best to treat my system as 2 systems: a bass system and a midrange/treble/sound stage illusion system.  The 4 sub dba gets the bass sounding powerful, accurate and defined throughout my entire room without the need for any dsp,  equalization or bass room treatments.  It creates a solid foundation for all music and is excellent for ht.
     The final step is positioning the main speakers to optimize the midrange. treble and sound stage illusion at the listening position sweet spot (unfortunately, there's currently no known method of optimizing this response throughout the entire room  as currently exists for bass response. via the 4 sub dba.)  I completely agree with you that there are very necessary and beneficial methods, backed by solid science, of employing room treatments for optimizing the in-room midrange and treble response along with optimizing the sound stage illusion/imaging at the designated listening position.
Tim
mceryn:
Finally, I think DSP is a great idea when placement and room treatments have not worked. I see the three all working together as a system.
Proper positioning of my subwoofers and their onboard customizable Room Optimization has always improved their performance. I've never been satisfied with low frequency room treatments. A mater of taste and probably just lucky with my last three rooms.