Recommendations for a few high SQ classical CDs

I have a modest collection of classical music CDs, most of it symphonic works, maybe 20-30 CDs at most. Most of my musical interest is with rock, roots rock and blues but I do enjoy classical music but have limited knowledge and experience.

I am also a new audiophile with my first hifi system for about a month now.

I would like some specific recommendations on just a few symphonies (for now). What I am looking for at this point is good CD recordings rather than the nature of the performance/conductor/orchestra. In other words, I'm looking for SQ first and performance quality second. I know that might sound backwards but I don't have enough knowledge to have a major preference between performances but I can hear SQ. Certainly a great recording of a great performance is ideal.

To keep things limited I am specifically interested in these works:

Beethoven's 9th
Mahler's 4th
Dvorak's 4th
Brahm's 4th

Certainly open to other symphonies by these composers. I have the works listed above and other symphonies by them as well.

Thanks for any recommendations,

George

n80
Subscribe Tidal HiFi/MQA and you have the your own classical musical library and 192k/24bit music click away.
This has been mentioned several times. I am at the end of my one month free trial. It does have its appeal but to achieve the level of quality that I would like (much less the quality which my system is capable of) would require more money in equipment and software than I am ready to spend right now. The SQ from laptop to line stage via an RCA patch cord into the headphone jack just doesn't sound all that good to me.

It is a good way to at least research works that I'm unfamiliar with.

I still like the idea of CDs. Solid media that I own and can keep. I know that is a primitive notion these days and I also know that CDs can degrade and be damaged.

I am still looking into a cheap, simple DAC and ripping CDs into a library which I can run with Apple Remote on my cell phone. If/when I get there I might consider Tidal again. But to be honest, lack of a simple way to run Tidal with a remote is a bit of a deal breaker for me anyway. Truly perplexing that they cannot develop an app for this. It appears that users have been asking for it for several years.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned the Mercury classical catalog.
Saint-Sean’s 3rd Symphony with Paray, or Prokofiev’s 5th with Dorati on this label are magnificent performances and blockbuster sounding discs.
I have Saint-Saen's 3rd on Telarc, Eugene Ormandy and Philadelphia Orchestra. I'll listen to it tonight and see how it sounds.