Sound stage height??

I notice that with most recordings I get a full height sound stage, as though I'm sitting right in front of the band. With other music it's more like I'm sitting above the band...........vocals seem to come from lower than my listening height............It's an odd phenomenon. I can only attribute it to how the music was recorded. It can even vary with different songs on the same disc......................My sound stage is typically wall to wall and realistically deep behind the speakers.............but sometimes it's almost like the vocalist is sitting on the floor in front of the band...........Anybody else experience this??................Marantz SA14s1 CDP...........Bryston amps...........Vandersteen 3A speakers...........room is well treated acoustically.
shadowcat2016
Thanks Slaw, and agreed. .......Theoretically, I have them about where they're supposed to be for optimum bass response, but theory is theory and each room is unique, so the math only gives you a starting point............I'll be playing with things some more in a week or so. Wrapping up some non-related remodeling right now............I tried both RV's recommendations as well as the Cardas setup....both of which are actually similar mathematically...........I'm sure I can optimize things further as soon as I have a couple days to "play".

Enjoy talking to you folks. I have a lot of music loving friends, but they're not audiophiles and have very basic systems, poorly set up, so they get lost pretty fast with this stuff.........They just hit play and get on with the day.
FWIW: I used the Jim Smith method for rough set-up. After that, it's all (listening). I do not use anything but my experience and hours & hours of listening compared to live shows. So it will be kind of an ongoing experiment.
Not familiar with that method, I'll do a search............Yes, ultimately it just takes patience and time to dial everything in.
Just a quick interrupt to reiterate that ye olde trial and error methodologies that rely on listening a little, moving a little cannot locate the unique optimum positions for speakers in a given room. It’s like trying to solve a few simultaneous equations in more than a few unknowns. Plus people assume wider apart is better generally.
@shadowcat2016,

Get a copy of "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith. It's a fun and easy read. Not technical. Good luck.