NOS Grace F9E question

A friend of mine gave me a Grace F9E to try on my 1200G.  He thinks it may be a good fit.  It appears to be brand new and never used.  It has a plastic protector that covers practically the entire cartridge.  I cannot get it off as it is on there very tight.  Is there any special way to get it of and not damage the cartridge?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
tzh21y
Dear @knollbrent @tzh21y : """ the decisions I’m making so far are in the winning category, not the losing category. """

Yes.

Btw, not the OP and certainly you are not asking for something better and yes the F9 is a winner tells other thing makes no-sense and bortding to the stupidity.

I know the Lyra Kleos is a winner ( I own it and listen it in other systems as the top Lyra’s. ) but in that Lyra cartridge series exist four other models that are better: Etna, Etna SL, Atlas and Atlas SL but this in no way means that the Kleos is not a winner because it’s ! !

In those all times when existed a huge competition for the MM market with several manufacturers and even " hundreds " of cartridge model the F9 was the " horse warrior " for Grace over the world. Yes, exist other Grace models that are better or other vintage cartridges that could be better as Acutex but you or the OP are not asking for.
Your F9 can competes easily with the 2MBlack by Ortofon.

Now, this winner you can up grade in significant way through SoundSmith whom developed a stylus replacement for this cartridge and the options there are more than one because you can go from the F9 to the very well regarded Grace Ruby as @lewm mentioned.

Btw, against whom competed Grace in the 80’s: Audio Technica, Technics, Sony, Nagaoka, Acutex, Azden, Elac, ADC, Empire, B&O, Micro Acoustics, Stanton, Signet, Pickering, Nagatron, Pioneer, Sonus, Micro Seiki, Philips, Garrot, Goldring, Grado Astatic, Glanz, Ortofon, JVC, AKG, Sumiko, Fidelity Research, Exel, VDH, etc. etc.

So as you can imagine was a hard/fierce competition and was the F9 the one that grace choosed to be its " horse warrior " not the other Grace models.

R.
@rauliruegas

yes the F9 is a winner tells other thing makes no-sense and bortding to the stupidity.

"Stupidity" is your comments these days, you missed the train long time ago and i have no idea when you have listened to any records with Grace cartridge last time, also you have never mentioned the models i am talking about here.

F9 the one that grace choosed to be its " horse warrior " not the other Grace models.

That’s why it was discontinued by Grace when they made a better upgraded models ?

This is a forum to contribute, not to repead your statement from 15 years ago. The "winner" is the best cartridge, mediorce cartridge can not be a winner in a competition. Maybe if you are alone in the marathon then you will be a winner, but if 10 more people will join the marathon you will be a loser. We’re talking about Grace and NO OTHER manufacturer, if you have not tried top of the line Grace models then it is not my problem, Raul. Coil wire, pins material, cantilever, stylus, overall design of F-9 is inferiour compared to improved F12, F14, Level II and Asakura’s TWO models. Only if you have nothing to compare from the Grace own line then F-9 can win, but only without its competitors.

Grace F14 and LEVEL II original styli are superior compared to SoundSmith ugly replacements.

Grace offered a bunch of different styli for F14 and LEVEL II:
Beryllium, Boron, Ceramic, Alluminum with many different diamonds.

Nodoby who own original Grace F14 or LEVEL II needs a SoundSmith.

F9 is a good cartridge, but it’s not a winner, sorry

I think i’ve tried all F9 models, the best is not the Elliptical F-9E, but the F-9F (Discrete-4) with Shibata stylus, the F-9U (Utility-4) with LineContact stylus is the next. Grace Ruby comes with elliptical stylus (same as F-9E) and can not compete with Shibata F-9F (Discrete-4). All these models are inferior compared to LEVEL II or F-14 with much better cantilevers/styli etc. I’ve collecting Grace cartridges (MM and MC) and my listening experience with them is only 2 years old, so fresh.

Your post about Grace are 15 years old and you’re still not improved your Grace Experience if you think the F-9 is a winner.

Please go and listen to your digital instead.

Post removed