Speakers under $5000 maintained a reputation for quality sound over the last 15 years.

I am curious what speakers at $5000 or less that  have maintained their reputation for great sound over the last 12 years without major upgrades. 

Thank you.

S.J.

sunnyjim

There are many, but the first two responses hit my two immediate choices - Totem and Vandersteen.  Some of those old LS3/5A's are also nice if you have a small room.  

Thank you to all who have responded so far The information is helpful in looking back over 45 years of being involved in audio. 

I called off my new speaker quest about 3 months ago, but decided to resume it.  The Golden Ear Technology 7's  speakers are very good, but are not cutting it for me after 4 years of ownership

Before ascending into a new price category, I have considered the Ohm Walsh 1000's,  Magneplanar  .7 speakers. and a "used "pair of Von Schkwerit  V4's  These are three different approaches to sound.

Basically I am looking for a fuller sound than GAT 7's. without sacrificing coherency 

Cheers, S.J.      

NOTE:....Correction to my last response.

The speakers are VR-2 , NOT VR 4's

BTW, My equipment:   Amp: BAT VK 200 (100RMS)  Conrad Johnson PV-14SE line stage;  CD player: Ayre CX-7e mp .  Speaker cable is Grover Huffman  ZX series,

Thank you

I'll second the Phase Techs.  I have the PC 60 speakers (with subwoofer with built-in crossover) and they sound great.  I did replace the drivers several years ago (the foam surrounds had deteriorated) – the good folks at Phase Tech had them for about $100.00 each (they had to make up the subwoofer for me, but it was apparently no problem).  Still going strong!

No, they are not as good as my current daily listeners (Harbeth P3esr with REL t51 sub), but they only cost $650 (back in '84, equivalent to about $1600 today, about half the cost of the Harbeths/REL).  Amazing value!