Stands, to couple, or not to couple, contradicting products and positive reviews

There are many practices/products intended to "couple" a stand-mount speaker cabinet to the floor of a room (spikes, adding mass to the stands via sand/shot, specific bolt-on stands for certain models, etc.).  Conversely, there foam speaker pads by Auralex and others, which are intended to de-couple or isolate the speaker from the stand, with rave reviews of audible sound improvement.  

So which is right, should I try to "connect" my speakers to the mass of my house, or do I want to "float" the speakers so they are free to resonate on their own?
waxhawfive
Thank you for all the replies. Like many things, there appears to be no "right" answer. Time to start experimenting; I have a few different durometers of foam, blue-tak, wood blocks, fasteners, etc.. I’ll try it all, from rigid coupling to fully "floating" (short of mag-lev), and see if I can even hear a difference. Should be interesting.

Thanks again.
Roller bearings isolate laterally, couple vertically. Symposium Acoustics Roller Blocks and the similar bearings made by Ingress Engineering in Canada are a great value, if the Townshend Seismic Pods are out of reach. 
I’m getting a strong sense of deja vu here but recall, gentle readers, roller bearings in cups isolate in the horizontal plane AND the three rotational directions, you know, twist, rock and roll. 🕺 That’s why when roller bearings are used in conjunction with some nice springs hint hint you can isolate in ALL 6 DIRECTIONS.

geoff kait
machina dynamica
serving audiophiles’ isolation requirements since 1996
AMEN to all that chayro !It's both the fun and the agony of audio, cut and paste .