Bi-amp through receiver vs pre out to 2 channel for fronts

Right now I am no amping my monitor audio gold 100 front speakers using a pioneer elite receiver.

The manufacturer recommends bi amping. If I buy a parasound 2 channel amp for the fRonda and don’t bi amp, is that going to sound better?
craigert
Hey again Craigert … 
I've read most of what everyone is saying.  This is a great thread you've got going.  Honestly, I don't think I disagree with anything on here!  Not that I'm the gods gift to whose right or wrong...but seriously...how often does that happen?

So another option:   Your disc player likely has a variable output option.  Check your owners manual.  If so, you can add a 2 channel amp in your budget  (or 5 channel amp).  Connect your disc spinner Front left and Front right direct to the new amp.  Then connect your disc spinner surround channels to your Receiver by analog outputs. I actually went a step further while revamping my system by using my disc spinner as the preamp, but that would be dependent on your input needs, and what else you have to connect into the system, as well as the inputs that may be or not be available on your disc player/DAC.  Anyway ... Use the variable output of the disc player to control the volume of the whole system.  Then,,,down the road,,,when you're budgeted for a preamp, you can add that to your system and toss the receiver entirely.  There are ways, and there are ways,,,but this is just one alternative.   I do 100% agree that in your upgrade, to have your Elite as the Pre for your stereo channels, would be a detriment.  I did that exact thing with my Onkyo Integra when I was revamping, and with the improved amplifier and disc player, I could tell the Integra was veiling everything and holding it back.  Getting it out of my system was the best thing I could have done.

If your disc player has an input, but you have too many sources to play thru it, ie; video game, cable box, etc....you could actually plug your receiver into the disc players input, and that would give you your FM/radio, and all the other inputs into the receiver, but the best sound (discs & movies) direct to the amp from your disc player, again, with it controlling the volume of the entire system.

I still drive my entire system with my disc spinnners variable output.  I've had my Halo A-51 amp on the fronts before.  It now pulls surround duty.  But where I'm going is this:   In two channel mode, the A-51 (5 channel amp) is superior to the A-31 (3 channel amp) or A-21 (2 channel amp).  Its in 5 channel mode that its fronts don't perform quite up the level of the A-21.  This all comes down to divvying up the source signal.  Yes there's more than just transformers to it all... a LOT more.  Yet,,,there is a simplicity to understanding that part of it.  In the case of the Parasound Halo lines, they have a primary Toroidal transformer, and then an additional smaller toroidal transformer for each channel.  To answer an earlier question by you, yes,,, some companies do provide more transformers in their surround Amps.  You'd have to google to see who does or doesn't.  The NAD is an outstanding product,,,but honestly, I 'm surprised to hear that a Rotel was considered superior to Emotiva.  I guess its all model dependent though.  Personally I preferred the Parasound Halo to them all, without ever having auditioned the Rotel.
sfcfran, I agree that this is a great thread. Although I’m sure elsewhere on a audiogon there are individual threads which focus on each element of it, you guys have taken a newbie like me through the entire thought process of the life cycle of home audio setup. Lol

Thank you all for taking the time in your replies.

I guess my only question now is how do I set up a system in my 5.1 channel living room after making my elite receiver the basement kids movie system?

Will an integrated amp serve as everything for a 5.1 system that I can use for movies and then turn into 2 channels when I listen to music, or is it then time to buy a 5.1 pre-amp/processor still to an integrated amp?

Based on what I have read a multiple channel pre/processor for HT use is still not as good as an integrated amp. Have I learned something here? Lol
craigert stated, " ... you guys have taken a newbie like me through the entire thought process of the life cycle of home audio setup."

Too funny! … (sorries….)

Yep, an integrated will be all you need. It is the preamp and amplifier combined. It will not have a tuner for radio reception, which right off the bat, removes the ’draw’ of fm radio reception into the equipment, which when present, messes with the signal purity of every circuit in the receiver. With an integrated amp you are paying for advanced signal path above what any receiver will provide within the same brand, or price target. With a receiver you are paying for the bells and whistles, oober surround options, hook ups for 29 varieties of sources, of which most of us use 2 - 4 of them...

Integrated amp focuses on
- isolated circuits for improved audio within each circuit
- higher quality materials
- higher end design specifications
- higher end transformers
etc.

Now the fun really begins...wait till ya see how complex everyone can get on recommendatiosn for integrated amps! You start getting into a whole new mess of concepts, such as compatability, wires, etc. Recommend you seek threads by people possessing the Monitor Golds, to start.

I guess what I am asking is whether or not there is a 5 channel preamp that is as good as the pre amp in an integrated amp. That way, I could ditch the receiver and use a 5 channel pre amp and 5 channel amp for HT and Stereo that’s all around awesome. 
I am not a big integrated amp guy.  It is my observation that the best audio comes from separate pre-amp and amp combo.  In that, you will need to budget for interconnects as well.  Not Monster Cable...please don't. … and...don't buy a single dang thing that is coming from China on ebay,,,especially periferals such as cables.  Fraud everywhere.

Two of the best reviewed 5.1 - 7.2 pre-amps under $5k are from Emotiva (for stereo best sound) and from Marantz (for surround best sound).  The Marantz can be had at very good prices refurbed or used and would be in line with your speakers abilities and price points.   There's a LOT  out there to mill thru though. 

Not sure what your budget is, but (don't laugh) one of the best amps for the money new (IMO) is the Monoprice Monolith 7, which can be configured as 2, 3, 5, or 7 channel, as it is modular, and you can add channels as your budget allows or needs demand.  It was awarded amplifier of the year 2016 by one of the big (I think it was Absolute Sound) audio review publications.  Monoprice basically ripped off the design of Emotiva and produced a quality at near the Outlaw Amps quality for 2/3 the price.  Above that would be the Outlaw, and then the Emotiva, and then the other amps you have already mentioned, ie NAD and Parasound.  

Then used is another consideration. A good number of enthusiasts flip through their gear every 2-5 years. You can get some really great deals on very hi end amps pre-owned, from craigslist and places like Audiogon, and yes, Ebay.  Amps are as near forever as it gets amongst your components.  The design of most standalone amps is very straightforward, without much of any, if at all, circuit boards, or delicate items...they tend to be power generating tanks.  When you buy a separate amp, its tech is good for 20+ years, and the sound is good for as long as you are happy with it.   Take the Parasound Halo A51/21/31 line for example.  Their design is completely unchanged since its introduction in 2003...yet they are still regarded as amongst the very best at their price point when purchasing new, today, and even in recent years have received best of awards from audio publications.... for a 15 year old design. Bryston amps carry a 20 year transfer warranty and they are awesome...slightly crisp on the highs, but your Golds would do justice with that.