DIY Power Cables Instead of Used

Good Day All,
     I'm hoping to gain from the benefit of your experiences comparing power cables, or your knowledge from extensive reading.  I'm leaning heavily toward DIY at this point, but am always open to overachieving reasonably priced new from authorized U.S. distribution or European channels.  Though I was originally very big on shopping mid to high end pre-owned power cables, I am no longer entertaining the used market for this purchase.
     I ask that you please share what your observations of a brand/model are, rather than just throw a brand name out and say you recommend it.  Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.  I'm seeking to upgrade the power chords on all of my components and am already working on installing direct circuits from the service panel, with audio grade receptacles.
     Thanks ...

sfcfran
@williewonka 
Good news!  Thanks Steve.  The double helix design is definitely going to happen in my system, amongst other items.  I plan to try multiples across components and play with it all.  Still tinkering with the thought process though, before spending any cash.

I did have a realization regarding my feed cable (which you and some others probably already know...but...to get it out here).  I ordered 12-3 Romex for the new home-run feed to the house electrical service panel.  Upon receiving and opening the package, a revelation hit me...dang it ....3 wire feed splitting into 2 x 2 wire feeds is the wrong answer for audio...ordering 12-3 was the reflex of the electrician in me.  

In a 2 power cable (hot and neutral, or hot and neutral plus ground also being referred to as a 2 wire), the neutral and feed have counter rotating magnetic fields of exactly equal strength, and waves, directly in phase with one another.  The delay between them is unmeasurable by anything less than a physicists lab equipment.  The 2 fields, rotating in opposite directions of one another, cancel each other out in the center, which is why the ground in 12-2 Romex is placed in the center....so no inductive current is created within the ground.  

In a 12-3 (2 hot legs and one neutral, or 2 hot legs plus neutral plus ground wire), the 2 hot legs carry whatever current that circuit is demanding based on the components/load placed on them.  This will never be the exact same, will always be out of phase, and is almost always drastically different from one another.  The neutral/white in the 12-3 carries, not the total of the 2 hot leads, but the difference of them.  So if the black lead is providing 10 amps to amplifiers, and the red lead is providing 3 amps to the television and disc player, their will be a combined concentration of 13 amps of magnetic field at the center of the two hot leads.  The neutral will carry back in the other direction the difference of the 2 hot leads.  In this example, that would be 7 amps.  The counter rotation of the neutral/white magnetic field of 7 amps, will knock the magnetic field of the hot leads down to that of 6 amps, at the center-point of the neutral/white conductor.  This remaining magnetic field, will create an inductive low current in the ground of a 3 wire feed application, with the varying and pulsing fields around it, making it very iratic and out of phase.  That (small) current induced into the ground then has its own field, which interference with the other wires, causing more field issues.  In any kind of appliance, this is no big deal...over years it may have an effect on the life of motors/fans/compressors, to some extent, at worst.  But for sensitive audio equipment, this amounts noise and odd-order distortions within the equipment itself, or at the very least, a less pure, and continually unpredictable strength to the power path, that will vary every microsecond.

The conductors of a 3 wire Romex are wrapped in a slow wind to mitigate this to an extent.  Your helix design, would actually mitigate this quite nicely, but would be very difficult to build around primary feed cables from the house panel, to the audio receptacle.  A quality power conditioner would likely correct most of this issue, but I'm not convinced that phase issues of this complexity can be resolved entirely by power conditioning....though I'll defer to anyone that clearly states that they know for a fact that a power conditioner would.

The moral of the story:  when installing dedicated audio circuits in your home, never use 3 wire feeds.

Regards,
Rich
@sfcfran -  you have reached the same conclusion I have also come to.

If you need two runs then use 2 runs of 12/2 and NOT 1 run of 12/3.- there is just too much noise in a 12/3.

BTW - I tried an experiment with mains cables - turns out - as long as you have at least three feet of Helix mains cable between your component and the outlet then what is between the outlet and the breaker panel is of little consequence.

I tried different lengths of helix...
- I currently have a 10 ft HELIX extension cablle feeding the amp and a distribution panel for other components
- replacing the 10 ft helix with a 12 gauge home depot extension cable makes little difference - other than the fact that the conductors in the Helix are of a higher quality and conduct power faster 
- removing the 10 ft cables makes little difference also.
- The shortest power cables I currently have is three feet and there is no difference in SQ  if I replace it with a 5-6 ft cable 

This leads me to believe that a Helix cable of at least three feet can provide relatively noise free power to a component, regardless of what type of "cable geometry" preceeds it

Hope that all makes sense? - Steve

@williewonka 
williewonka wrote:  "I hope that all makes sense"

I did have to read it a few times, and draw myself a mental picture of what you were doing to fill any gaps, but yes... got it.

Interesting.

Normally I might ponder the theory behind that, quietly to myself, but I'm brain fried this evening.  As such I find myself eternally grateful that once upon a time you already handled that theorization to develop/find the results you just presented,,,,, so now I don't have to bother! lol. What a great place this is.

Regards
Rich