Backert Labs Rhumba preamp

Hello,
I am thinking of going to an active line stage for sometime now. I have a separate thread for that and people have suggested some good choices. The reason for this thread if that, while I have all along said that  don't want tubes in the system, a few have convinced me that I should try tubes in the system, especially with ProAcs.
With that said, I researched a few tube preamps, that have XLR out and the Backert Labs Rhumba is the one that has only 2 tubes, which makes me comfortable to "deal in tubes".

I would like to hear from Backert Labs Rhumba owners who moved from Solid State preamplification to this preamp. What are the differences you heard? Any improvements?

I read a review on the Stevehoffman forum and the user mentioned that there is a "hum" in this preamp. This bothers me and hence I decided to check on this forum, if anyone has experienced this with the Rhumba in their system. One poster on this forum also confirmed the "hiss":
https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/backert-preamps-any-users

So I was wondering, if there are any users who have recently purchased this preamp and what is their experience with the hum/hiss issue.

BTW, I blame Ralph of Atma-Sphere, Almarg  and my dealer for making me consider tube amps :-) Can't believe I am creating this thread.

Thanks!
128x128milpai
@milpai  thanks for the system compliment!  At the time I was looking for a preamp, I did want to try a Statement preamp, but none were popping up, so I decided to buy the Rhumba from a dealer instead (something to be said about a 30 audition policy!). 

Anyways, I loved what I was hearing, and obviously it didn't go back. Haven't heard the Coincident Statement, unfortunately.

The amps don't have XLR inputs, so I do not use the balanced input or output of the Backert.

As someone in the same boat as you -- solid state guy looking to add a tubed pre for the first time -- thought I'd chime in FWIW.  My goal is to introduce some of that tube magic into my system with as little or no sense of a loss of transparency or bass control.  The Rhumba is also one of the top three on my list, and given what I've read it's really hard to see going wrong with it.  But the other two on my list are Don Sach's SP14 pre and Ralph's MP3.  The fact that the MP3 does away with coupling capacitors intrigues given my concern about compromised bass.  BTW, there's a very nice, almost new MP3 available now on US Audio Mart that might very well be on its way to me now if I had the scratch. 

Anyway, since we seem to be going down the same road I just thought I'd share what I've been looking at.  Best of luck!
@1markr ,
You are welcome. Good to know that you liked the Rhumba so much, as to not return it.

@soix ,
You are more than welcome to add to this thread. While I blame Ralph for getting me to start looking into tubes, I want to "wet my feet" first. The MP3 may be really good, but is currently out of my price range and also comfort (no. of tubes) range. Don Sach's SP14 looks good, but not on my list. Thank You for sharing.

I have decided to reach out to Backert Labs with my specific questions. But one point on their site that concerns me is - " A side-effect of using a single gain stage is that our models invert phase.". The link to that page is missing.
HI Milpai - I too know Bob for many years and have found him to be a gentleman of the utmost character.  His preamps are wonderful and an absolute bargain in terms of what they sound like and how they are built.  Phase inversion is not a problem- to compensate, you just switch plus and minus at the speaker input to revert to being "phase correct" for the purists, although many recording engineers do not pay attention to absolute phase.  Good Luck!
@jwpstayman , thanks for pointing that. But I managed to talk to Andy at Backert Labs and he answered all my questions. Looks like the new Rhumbas do not do phase inversion issue, since a transformer that they use inside does it (not sure if I put it the right way, as Andy explained).

I am impressed how much time Andy took to answer my specific questions related to hum, phase inversions, tube life, volume control, etc. Andy also told mentioned about a very good upgrade path for existing users. Besides the Parasound JC2 and Jeff Rowland Capri S2, I think I will seriously consider the Rhumba as a preamp upgrade. Frankly this is probably my number one preference for now.