insurance and shipping with UPS

I recently shipped a Levinson 432 amplifier with UPS.I brought it to UPS and requested that they box it. It was insured. During transit UPS dropped the amplifier and pretty much destroyed it. I offered to pay for repairs, however the buyer had no interest in purchasing the item. UPS inspected the damaged amplifier and denied my claim, insisting  the  amplifier was not properly packaged. Corporate denied responsibility and said the issue was between myself and the UPS franchise that shipped it. I've been dealing with the franchise for a month and they are fighting with corporate in an attempt to adjudicate the issue. Meanwhile, I've repaid the buyer and have had  no relief from UPS. The UPS website clearly states that if a franchise boxed the item they are responsible. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this issue, other than hiring an attorney? UPS seems to be somewhat of a scam operation. I did not realize that all UPS offices were franchises and am wondering why anyone would ship anything of value with them.
catsally1
And the UPS store would have done it! You'd have to request it and pay extra, of course!
File in Small Claims Court. That might get them off their butt and pay your loss. If not you can always go thru with it. It is a pretty simple process.
UPS does advertise themselves as Packing Experts.  From the UPS website:  

Trust The UPS Store Certified Packing Experts®

• Let our packing experts do the job for you so your items arrive safely and intact
  • We are trained in advanced packing techniques like block and brace, double box, and suspension
  • We can pack almost anything

We specialize in properly packing fragile and high-value items like artwork or electronics.

The Pack & Ship Guarantee may now be extended to include coverage for USPS® and DHL® shipments.†

If a participating The UPS Store® location packs your item using only new materials purchased at that participating location, and ships the package via UPS, USPS, or DHL (on that participating location’s applicable UPS, USPS, or DHL account) and that item is damaged or lost in transit, you’ll be reimbursed*:      

• The item's value (subject to the lesser of actual value, replacement or repair cost)
  • The full retail price you paid for packaging materials and services
  • Your cost for shipping (excluding Declared Value charges or costs for Insurance as applicable)
I am not sure on what basis UPS is denying your claim.  Does your receipt indicate that UPS packed the amp

When I went into UPS I requested double boxing and they stated it wasn't necessary They claimed to have special boxes for shipping heavy, fragile items. I spent a half hour there explaining the fragility and cost of the amplifier. I thought okay, they are the experts. I think resolution depends upon the particular UPS franchise that one deals with. I paid an additional $200 for 'insurance.'  From what I've read it's not really insurance anyway. It's declared value, which is the maximum liability the franchise will provide. I've challenged corporate on this issue and they have no response. I guess real insurance would effect their bottom line too much. Almost as bad, my home owners insurance wants to pick up the amplifier and attempt to have it repaired. If you saw the amplifier, even if repaired, I wouldn't sell it to anybody. It's a Levinson 432, and the entire outer casing has been crushed. The face plate has come off. The handles on the back are bent.
OP - Can you go back to the UPS location and get names of employees you dealt with that day who made the assurances you note above?  A small claims suit may not be able to provide sufficient monies to compensate you for the value of the destroyed amp.  So you might check that first in your locality.  If the amount is sufficient, then take it to small claims and have the names of who told you what at UPS.

Based on your 10:50 AM post above, I can't see how you wouldn't win that battle. Once they receive notice from the local magistrate that a suit has been filed they may change their tune and pay up rather than appear with a losing case in court.  Good Luck!🍀