DBX Expander

I have recently acquired a Teac reel to reel and although it's a great machine, soundwise, it just doesn't measure up to CD or LP's in my system. I have a chance to purchase a DBX sound expander that I'm told greatly enhances the sound of the tape. I have no experience with this box at all. Does anyone have any knowledge of what this does?
markus1299
Since my system is balanced, and I'd like to keep it that way, could I just use one 3BX-DS for each channel? Meaning left is inverting - right is non inverting, then combine them back to XLR? I already use gear (Strain Gauge) that puts out balanced signals over 2 RCA's, and have a custom adaptor that goes from 2 RCA's to XLR.

Frzninvt - is this what you are referring to, or did you mean the signal goes through expansion twice? Please elaborate.
The VCA's in the 3BX-DS are mono triggered so dedicating one each to each channel (L & R) improves imaging, staging and definition. It also gives you the flexibility to adjust the channel expansion independent of one another.

I used 2 male RCA to a single female "Y" adapters (two per unit) giving me a single "mono" input on each unit. One for the left channel and one for the right channel. Not daisy chained. I suppose you could do it with XLR to RCA adapters.

Make sure the rear mounted trim pots for HF & LF transition are set equally on the units. You can tweak them as necessary by watching the front displays so you are getting the same level of expansion out of each unit. Having units close in manufacture dates helps too.

The 3BX-DS can be calibrated and adjusted using the Service Manual. Better capacitors in the power supply improve performance as well.
In the early 70s, I had a small, box-sized dbx unit for a short time, which I never used for tape recording noise reduction, but I discovered through trial and error that it did a fantastic job of cleaning up the distortions and surface noise on 78rpm records in real-time........I do not mean impulse or scratch noise, but rather the annoying distortions caused by having played the records previously with worn needles, as well as the inherent way 78s of the pre-war era basically just sound bad to start with.......It seemed to make those noises disappear, and the music, previously difficult to hear because of the continuous noise, would come through loud and clear, almost like magic...........I would have never believed it if I hadn't heard it for myself..........Unfortunately, I traded it in at my audio dealer for a dbx3bx, expecting it to be a "bigger and better" version of the one I had........Of course, I discovered it was a totally different animal and did not perform the functions of the little box, but I kept it because I enjoyed what it did to improve the dynamic range of LPs and FM broadcasts........I would just like to know if anyone can confirm for me what the model number was, as I cannot remember if it was the 117 or the 119, as I am considering picking one up, since they are very reasonably priced on ebay, and also if anyone can confirm its use for eliminating 78rpm surface noise......Sometimes I think I may have dreamt it because the improvement was so sensational........I mean, it practically made an unlistenable record sound almost brand-new........ Any responses would be appreciated......My email address [email protected] you in advance for any help........
With the resurgence of Vinyl, turntable and cartridge makers are on fire. Sweet Vinyl has a line of very sweet Sugarcubes that eliminate pops and clicks and noise floor without affecting the sound of the music. They are expensive at $1,500 to $4,000 for their units. But if you plan on recording your collection Sugarcube is a must.
With all this demand for vinyl, perhaps we can convince dbx to bring back a modern 5bx with today’s state of the are digital technology. Imagine fixing all the crap  that was done to records in the digital domain as well as making them as quiet as CDs.
As soon as my Sugarcube SC-1 arrives, I will be digitazing my dbx encoded discs. These discs are recognized as the best sounding vinyl recordings ever made. I can’t wait.
What does the community say? Can we get dbx to do it, or if the patents are expired, maybe the guys at sweet vinyl will make a product.