Non-audiophile needs help with older system.

I recently inherited a number of 10-15 year old high end audio components. I am not an audiophile but do appreciate high end sound. I do not have a dedicated room for this system. But, it was free and I'd like to figure out how to use it without spending a lot of money on it. I am not looking for audio perfection, just to optimize what I have. This will be used for two-channel music only. I'll try to describe the setup as best I can but I'm sure I do not know the proper terminology.

The components are as follows:

Pair of Aerial Acoustics floor speakers. Towers. No model number. I'm thinking 7B maybe. Have contacted Aerial to see if they can help me identify them. They have a tweeter, midrange and two woofers. Rear bass port. Separate connectors for woofers and midrange/tweeter. 

Madrigal Proceed HPA 2 amp. 250 watts. Weighs a ton.There are very large shielded(?) 'biamped'(?) cables from the amp to the speakers.

Audio Research LS16 Stereo PreAmp. There are large shielded XLR cables from the pre amp to the amp.

Onkyo home theater 'receiver' that I do not like. Remote is lost. Set up is tedious.

There is a very basic Arcam CD player and a Sony phono.

I've got it all hooked up. Bass seemed poor just running CD through pre-amp. If I run CD player to Onkyo to pre amp and adjust bass with Onkyo the sound is incredible (to me).

This system will be used for casual listening, CDs, records, radio, and iTunes via cell phone. I know that is like using a Porsche 911 to get groceries....but it was free. And there will be times when I can sit down for serious listening but that will be infrequent.

I plan on replacing the Onkyo home theater receiver with a basic FM Tuner/Bluetooth/receiver (probably a Sony). This will be for radio and iTunes so even though it is probably not a quality unit I don't think that will matter since the input (iTunes) won't be all that great anyway.

My main questions have to do with how to route the CD, the tuner and the phone through the system.

The preamp has RCA input connectors for all three. But if I run the CD and the phono directly through the preamp there is no way to adjust bass and treble and as mentioned running the CD directly through the preamp resulted in great high and midrange quality but low bass. So should I run the CD and phono into the receiver I'm going to buy and then just run the receiver out to the preamp in?

Sorry for the long post and appreciate any help you guys can give.

George

n80
Just try and get the sofa out from the rear wall a couple of feet.  If you put the speakers close to the sidewalls, a couple of absorption panels will work wonders for the first reflection points.  GIK Acoustics sells them for a resonable price, has information about how to treat and will make recommendations if you send them info about your room and setup.  
Thanks mcreyn. My wife has given me the nod so I'll bring the system home in a couple of weeks.

Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the help. I spend time on a number of technical type websites. Some of them are not so friendly especially when you're a noob asking stupid questions. It is refreshing to get good, friendly, non-condescending advice on a technical website and I appreciate it.
Just want to say thanks to everyone for all the help. I spend time on a number of technical type websites. Some of them are not so friendly especially when you're a noob asking stupid questions. It is refreshing to get good, friendly, non-condescending advice on a technical website and I appreciate it.

Your questions aren't stupid.  We all start somewhere.  I think the members on this forum are likely a bit older than some of the other forums.  In my experience, as we get older, most of us get more patient as well as learn that 1) there is more than one correct answer, 2) our opinion is exactly that, and 3) there is plenty of room in this world for other views.

I have found AVSforum to be pretty good also, but they are much more oriented towards home theater and are pretty strongly in the objectiveness camp.  That said, I have watched them get on experience forum members for not being polite to new members or acting arrogant towards them.    
Another question: If I decided that I wanted a subwoofer (I doubt that I will), where would the output for that be? The Proceed amp has only two (R&L) speaker connections.