Sellers and "Ambiguity" or "Integrity" of "item as described" descriptions on eBay

Hello all:

I posted this on a thread about speakers and fraud and eBay, but I thought it might merit its own topic:

I have a situation at the moment where I bought a subwoofer on ebay. The seller described that the subwoofer was "In perfect working condition and sounds great. It has some cosmetic wear" but neglected to mention that it was missing a cable that is not an off-the-shelf item, is unique to the system and without which the subwoofer - by the manufacturer’s own statement, does not perform "In perfect working condition". The manufacturer no longer makes the sub or the cable.

It also had a small tear in the surround, which I was not as concerned about, as I am able to repair it, but the fact of the matter is that tear was not mentioned in the listing and only shows up in his photo if you blow it up 200% and then only if you know to look for it. There is an anomaly in the image that is near the tear in the surround that suggests that someone was trying to retouch it out but did not know what they were doing and not only did a sloppy job, but missed the spot.

I am disputing the transaction. Would you consider the description fraudulent? If so, to what degree? Or am I to blame for not reading the fine print? Thank you to all beforehand for your responses.

So far, I’ve gotten one response: from mr_m273 posts05-20-2017 2:12pm
Yes. I would think so. Just for the missing cable alone. I’m quite sure this guy knew that sub needed the cable in question.
128x128unreceivedogma
You did not look at the photos carefully really ? Big mistake. Your responsible is look at them VERY carefully BEFORE you buy anything on eBay or Audiogon or whatever. Basic rules, when you have bought an item you have responsible to filling the contract. Your responsible.
But now you can´t use the item because it´s missing a vital part ? Seller´s responsible. But if the seller accepts return, you can send it back. Basic rules. No worries.

PayPal is fool proof for all buyers because they PayPal doesn´t ask anything. But you actually never paid for the item ?? So you lost nothing, truly ? Why are complaining then ? I have read your sentences many times but I can´t make real sense of it. Well right, I try to see it this way: You have the item but not the vital part for it ? If this is the case it´s your right to sent the damn thing back.

Anyway, you should be lucky that if you had paid it using PayPal they did not freeze your account and kept YOUR funds for unknown period of time. Yah, they stab at your back and say nothing whatever happens. Silent faceless monster.
Like they did mine, nearly three thousand bucks. Just like that. And almost ruined my economy. Well, actually eBay sided me because they finally after my five weeks battle admitted that it was not my fault at all. Of course it wasn´t ´cos I never hided anything. The guy reported to eBay that he wanted museum quality (his words) of a 39 year old TT. But never complained it´s fuctionality, that´s after all the the important thing in all sales. LMAO

Arrogant and criminal buyer, funny from former communist country btw, tried to rip me off but when he tried to fool both eBay and PayPal, that was the icing of his cake : ) Well, this time I was lucky but they don´t fool me, never again.

PayPal has ruined both eBay and Audiogon. And made all honest sellers outlaws. PayPal is the biggest scam artist since communism. If eBay (and Audiogon) some day really gets rid of PayPal as mentioned here is victory to all, especially all honest sellers.
Fingers crossed, the world may still have hope.
And good luck for OP. Don´t get me wrong I´m on your side, just be more careful next time. Your story is way different than mine but we both are victims of circumstances. (In the end I wasn´t, actually).
Harold:

wow. What a rant. You sound similar to the seller I had to contend with. What do you have to hide?

I had examined the photos very closely. There was nothing that stood out as defective in the imagery. Even after the item arrived, it was real detective work to find the flaw in the image that was posted. You should not need to go into every Ebay purchase completely on the defensive. With honest sellers, you don’t. This guy had a 109% rating, I assumed he was trustworthy. It turned out that he was not, and unstable to boot.

Each person that I actually spoke to at Ebay or at Paypal was totally sympathetic to my position. And a few days after I spoke to them, I nevertheless got a negative response.

The only thing that saved this from a complete loss for me is is that I paid with Paypal credit on a 6 month no interest no payment plan. I closed the account and sent a cease and desist letter.

Hey, do you want a subwoofer? It “works perfectly!” Free! Just pay shipping!

I thought the sub was now "technically" owned by PayPal...lol.
If you bought an identical one which I think you said you had I would keep it for spares, you never know.
I have nothing to hide. That´s why I won both eBay AND PayPal crooks (BIG SMILE).
109 % score ? This is a joke right ? Now you say you did look at the pics carefully, but your initial words tell a difference. Typo ? No I don´t buy your story. Anymore. Sorry, your writing is quite confusing. First you say "they" were sympathetic to you, next you say you received negative response ? What is the matter ? You can´t take a simple advice from another victim of circumstances. I never was against you.

Unreceive Mr. Dogma ? Tells me something about your case. Alright. What a bore you are. And a rather morounic answer. Arrogant novices like you try to be so damn smart. Truly I tried to help you in your possible future cases. Because PayPal will screw you some day, and when you least expect it. They don´t care for you nor me, in the end of the day. They and eBay care only for themselves. Keep that in your mind.

Hello there. PayPal "technically" owns your little gadget ? They dare do.

You are starting to sound exactly as confused like my little customer from Chekc Republic. Funny guy. Eventually he left me a negative feedback because he simply went frustrated because I told him about the boring facts very clearly seen in my original ad, over and and over again. And once again... Boredom killed the troll LOL. Even before eBay was about to end the case. Really funny. eBay was forced to admit that it was not my fault at all. Of course I knew it all the time, that´s why I won them all.

Right after eBay´s verdict the nega fb was removed. Troll lost his game.

And everybody lived happily ever after.

Case closed. Don´t worry I don´t care for your future stories.

Good night : )

It is “technically” owned by Paypal. 

As a a practical matter, it is  probably gonna sit in our mech/boiler room for a very long time. 

Yes, I found another from a seller that lived a couple hours away. I drove over, auditioned it, he had a scope so I could see as well as hear how it was performing. It performed as designed and as described. It’s fine.