My Experience with Dave from Audio Doctor NJ

First off, let me say that I am a novice when it comes to digital music setups. I started this thread looking for advice on my next purchase:  https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/trying-to-decide-on-my-next-purchase/post?postid=1580061#1580...

I am considering buying a NAD 50.2.  I received a very helpful response from Dave at Audio Doctor in NJ.  Helpful, because it offered me what seems to be a better alternative, in my price range, the Innous Zenith.  I did some quick research and was impressed with what I read.  Anyone who can, please chime in on their experience with a  Innous Zenith MKII.

A couple of hours later I received a phone call from Dave.  We discussed many topics such as the pro's and con's of the NAD 50.2 versus the Innous Zenith, and things that I could do to improve my listening experience. He asked me why I chose to use a NAD 12/NAD 22 v2 with a pair of Tannoy 8 dcti speakers because they don't pair well, and he's right.  Some music sounds really awesome, but sometimes the highs are too bright and some transitions are too much "in your face."  

He recommended several speaker brands that would pair better with my setup, such as a pair of Legacy Focus SE offered by another dealer on agon, or Legacy Caliber speakers.  He also recommend tube amps or integrated amps that would pair well with my Tannoy speakers.  We spent about 30 minutes discussing other digital music considerations, leaving me with a lot of useful food for thought, as well as, helping me understand more of the complexities of building a good (enough) digital music system.   I truly appreciated his advice and desire to help me make an informed decision no matter what I purchase.  

Now, I wasn't born yesterday so I was a bit surprised that he recommended I reach out to another dealer regarding the Legacy speakers - even though he sells them.  I also appreciate that he did not try to sell me anything.  A lot of people sell the products/equipment I'm looking for - but caring customer service is hard to find.  I've yet to purchase anything from Audio Doctor, but they will definitely be on my short list when I finally decide.  
128x128oldschool1948
Well, if you want a second opinion, I would contact John Rutan at Audioconnection. He is in Verona, NJ. You can PM him on Agon (audioconnection).
B
Glad to hear of the excellent experience:-)

i think junking the Tannoy might be a mistake.... just my $.02

careful selection of digital components, especially those engineered by both digital and analog engineers can yield astonishing SQ.
for example take a look at Ayre or Aesthetix DAC’s ( there are more ) with Faraday cages, extensive RF shielding, isolation, serious custom filters, isolation, power supply filtering, etc
the NAD can be made to sound very liquid, analogue like with a few tweaks and the right preamp
brother in law has one into Odyssey Candela pre w Cardas cables into Odyssey Power amp into Magnepan- very nice sound.....

i bet Tannoy at the end of his chain would sound fantastic also :-)

enjoy your search and the music !!!!!
@gdnrbob  A Big +1   Although I've only been at AudioConnection once, the time spent with John R. was truly enjoyable.  He is so knowledgeable about acoustics, gear, set-up etc. that there is much to be learned from him.  Most impressive is the performance he is able to wrest from even modest gear.  Never in my wildest imagination did I think I would hear a pair of Vandersteen 1c's sound as good as they did there.  It was stunning!  

John has helped out many people here just by advising them about set-up of their present gear.  No effort to sell.

I'm glad that Audio Doctor can also give solid advice without a hard sales pitch.

As to Server.... from an ownership perspective I have two NAIM Unitiserve both with Pardo LPS, HRS isolation and damping bricks and AQ and Nordstrom cables - I have heard the server you asked about - it sounds very good.
not sure how it would compare with a new NAIM core...
i suspect they would be quite close.
Listen for yourself - I think the Audio Doctor carries both - with a Server IF you are not verybtech savvy I suggest making sure support is stellar.
NAIM support for North America - including service for when it breaks is right here in Canada. The Techs can also remote into your home network to fix things that can and do go awry...
happens to all servers, BS to believe otherwise.

so make service and support part of your equation.

again

enjoy your fun search and the music !!!!!