McIntosh (MC601) amplifier overheating problem

Hello everyone - A buddy of mine has MC601s that have recently started overheating.  Each amp went into protection mode after emitting a burning smell, and both had to have an output transistor replaced (at different times).  

My internet digging has revealed that ThermalTrak transistors are not very reliable, or at least the early batches were not.  Ayre has also reported overheated MX-R amps with the same problem.  They apparently can fail after years of use, which is not good news for owners!

I'm trying to get a feel for how widespread this problem may be (at this point in time)?  Each transistor replacement is $400, and there's an awful lot of output transistors in MC601s...!!  I convinced my brother to also get MC601s so I'm starting to get really worried his will fail too in the near future.

So far, McIntosh's response to my inquiry has been vague and reticent, unlike Ayre who apparently went to great lengths to remedy this issue for their owners.  Has anyone out there had this problem with McIntosh or Ayre?  

aball
Hey aball good to see you again.  I’m not round here as much anymore either.   Good luck with Mac.  Don’t want to jinx myself but my 501’s have been driving Thiels for years and haven’t broken a sweat yet.  Hope there is an easy solve.  
Hey Jerry!  Great to hear from you.  I probably won't become a regular again (it seems little has changed around here lol) but it's nice to hear from you and the others that have messaged me directly.

The 501s have different output devices, so you don't have to worry.  On Semi is on their third version of the ThermalTrak BJTs now (they are aware that their early ones had design flaws) so people with later 601/452/7000/152/302/1201 etc. are probably fine too.  I just hope my brother's 601s will be ok, even though serial numbers suggest otherwise.
Arthur
McIntosh has finally arrived at a decision, after a month of back-and-forth, and it isn’t nearly as good as Ayre’s unconditional warranty for the same issue: they will only pay for parts in the form of built-up heatsinks. My buddy feels this is an ok solution, but it will probably still cost him $400 in labor, plus shipping. It’s a shame - their literature says their amps "last a lifetime" but then they don’t stand by them like Ayre does. Apparently McIntosh isn’t quite what they used to be. Oh well, that’s the way it is, lesson learned, moving on.

If your McIntosh amps overheat in the near future, I hope they will accord you the same offer, but you might have to fight for it as I did.  I wish you all the best in that endeavor. 
I had issues with McIntosh a few years ago with warranty.I will never buy their products again.Their customer service reps on the phone were as rude as it gets.