Tonearm comparison, Rega vs Zeta, anyone?

Rega RB300 (giant killer) $250 - $400, - - - Zeta tonearm (Giant) $1350 NOS. sold for $800 on US audiomart.

I’m stepping up a level in the cartridge dept, and wonder if the benefits of doing so might be further augmented by stepping up a level in the tonearm dept, and if doing both would make a sonic improvement greater than the sum of it’s parts?

A gain of that level in sonics would make such an expediture intriguing, Eg: 1+1= 3.5. (ajusted to compensate for the law of diminishing returns).

Has anyone out there used "both" an RB300 and a Zeta? And would you feel that moving to a Zeta is closer to a lateral move, or more reflective to an exponential improvement?
My Rega has been rewired with Discovery interconnects, and uses the heavier counterweight.

(Cartridge move is from a Grado Reference Sonata 1, to a Dynavector 20x2 High Output).

thehorn
Why look only at ZETA? There are other vintage tonearms out there that are available for reasonable amount besides those mentioned above. E.g. Micro Seiki MA505, FR64s, Acos Lustre GST 801.
In addition to the arms driveman listed above, the Victor 7045 is also a great arm. They can be had pretty cheap on ebay. 
I'm not a big analog guy, but have a decent TT setup. A friend of mine has a very nice (and properly setup) Basis TT. with a Rega arm and Lyra Delos cart. One of the best TT setups I have heard! IMO
I've tried the Rega, Mission Mechanic and Zeta, the latter on an Oracle Delphi Mk 2.  Surprised at all the dislike for the RB300 - it is still a bargain, sonically, but the Zeta is a work of art that should handily better it, They are rare, so finding one will be a challenge.

If money isn't a problem you can always just shell out for an SME V.

I hear ya wspohn,

I’ve heard a ton of systems, & aspecially from the price point, the RB300 is a good tonearm, and it’s mustard. It’s never given me a spec of grief. Are there better options - - - you bet, or I wouldn’t have typed this post.

Pullies, counter weights & wires may look aesthetic on tonearms, but as Mr.Scott so eloquently put it "the fancier the plumbing, the more likely you’ll clog the drain". That’s why I’ve been leaning towards the Zeta & the SME V .... no clutter.

That said, "SME V" - ahhhh - it’s only money, make it every day, LOL. If money wasn’t an issue I wouldn’t be looking at tonearms from the 90’s.

$2500 bucks for a used V, then ship it off the SME to be rewired & refurbished (they have a service shop just north of Toronto), there’s another $450-600 clams, that’s an easy three G’s for a used arm .... forget it.

In 1984 I paid $1800 dollars for just the table, I’m not throwing $3 grand at an arm, I’m caping the tonearm budget at $1800 bucks. That’s why I’ve been seriously considering the Wilson Benesch 0.5.

True, there is a counter weight at the fulcum, but it’s not as complex as a Graham, VPI, or Tri-Planar, and cost a lot less.

So thanks for the heads up on the Zeta wspohn. On that choice we agree, but SME V, it’s too rich for my blood.