Can someone explain to me why : Accupahse Equipment is that expensive ?

…….I was recently looking into their Power Conditioners as well as their Amplifiers and for a company where there is very little reviews done on their products, along with a small ( here in the US anyway )  almost a cult following if someone could tell me why is their prices the way they are. I just don't understand it. I have listened to their equipment and is nice and the build quality is very good but ; I always said to myself ; '' Not for that price ". I do not mean to be in an any way inflammatory with this statement but is :  Accuphase the McIntosh of the East ?  McIntosh makes some nice stuff but is no way priced like Accuphase, however it seems to operate very much with the same business model ; you are paying for the name and the pride of ownership and the sound is very much dated. Maybe I am missing something here and the sound is very good and like Rolex you buy a piece and you are set for a lifetime. FM Acoustics is also another one of the those companies......Just looking for a really good amp and these companies come up in my search but I am just sitting here scratching my head ?           
garebear
...and Mr Glupson you are absolutely correct. Luxman has got its distribution here in the US squared away and makes some really nice equipment. I will probably stay in the Esoteric line …..really nice stuff but can be a little analytical at times.    
I remember the gear in NY many moons ago- a guy (who passed away) had a loft space full of it for sale. Gorgeous. It is like classic ’70s era design, with wood, champagne gold finishes, but much higher build quality than the consumer grade stuff of the era. No doubt it is well built, also doesn’t seem to be very common here in the States. I suspect some of the vintage stuff is classic.

+1 alucard19, total agreement on Anthem. There are several Canadian high-end audio manufacturers, I believe NAD and PSB are also based out of Canada. Don’t forget PS Audio for high-quality amps; their BHK tube hybrid monos are outstanding (although not cheap). I have a pair and love them. Made right here in Boulder CO. 
….thank you dldennis but you are not answering the question. I am not interested in Canadian or PS Audio amps or what you have as amps. I am looking at buying Accupahse but trying to find out, which some have answered here on why they do not seem to have such a presence here, and why are they soo expensive is the question