Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1

Hi, I am a newbie here and also in the world of music. I started a stere system last month, Just bought a pair of Klipsch R28F and a sub. I only listen to music and now use a Onkyo TX-8555 for Stereo. I would like to have a power amp and use the Onkyo as a Preamplifier. There is a local guy has a Emotiva XPA5 Gen 1 wants to sell it for me for $400. My question is: should I buy it ? Or should I buy 2 channel amp only for stereo music? This gets me to another question: I saw ClassDAudio has A 2 channel amp, 250wpc, for over $500, is it a good amp and should buy it instead of the Emotiva?

Please hepl me! 

Thanks in advance for your help! 
justinpham2012

Have the XPA-5 Gen 2 amp and have been using it for 3 years; it is excellent. You can switch from 5 to 2 channels with a pre (use the XMC-1 myself) and it makes going from movies to music effortless.

If you mainly/only listen to music I would recommend you stick with a stereo setup; the XPA-5 is not necessary for this. Most music is mixed for stereo and you get a better soundstage with two speakers and channels. Even a subwoofer will interfere with low bass imaging (2 are much better).

Niles is a company that makes distribution amps (such as 8 or 10 channel amps) for multi-room audio.  It is probably an okay amp, but nothing special.  I would probably assume that it isn't any better than your Onkyo 2-channel receiver.
Having owned an Emotiva XPA-5 and now a Class D Audio SDS-470, the 470 is far superior in air, detail, imaging and overall sound balance than the XPA-5. As another person said, it is a bit bright and probably is not a good match with your Klipsch. When I owned a set of Klipsch Heresy II's, I ran them with a Parasound HCA-1205 amp. Smoother sounding than the Emotiva that I had. For me, the Class D Audio is the best sounding Class D amp that I have owned. Even better sounding than my Wyred4Sound ST-250 or Rotel Class D amp. 
Thank you so much auxinput, crail59, 213runnin and rar1 ! 

How about Acurus and Adcom amp: are they good? I found the 2 amps on local Craigslist: Acurus A250 and Adcom gfa 555, they both sell for $350? Which one is better and is the price right?

thanks again!

Both of these amps are very old.  I used to own Adcom amp (GFA545) and it was great for a first amp in my journey.  However, I found it was very dirty sounding and low resolution.  Both of these amps (Adcom/Acurus) are very warm and laid back sounding.  If you want that kind of sound, then I would probably recommend Acurus as the better quality component.

Sounds like you are looking for local ads only?  Do you have a dislike for internet sales? 

Parasound 2125 from TMR Audio ($400):

http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/parasound-model-2125-stereo-power-amplifier/

Parasound 275 V2 (newer model) from TMR Audio ($379)

http://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/parasound-model-newclassic-275-v-2-stereo-power-amplifier/

Odyssey Khartago ($525):

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis90340-odyssey-audio-khartago-tube

All of these are from reputable sellers (TMR is a retailer that has excellent customer service).  Any of these will be better than Adcom/Acurus.  They will have more resolution and attack  (more detail in the music).