First Foray into XLR

I know this is a topic like ‘oil’ or ‘tires’ on a car forum, but I have to ask...

Marantz AV8802a to Odyssey Stratos amp to Aerial 7T’s. Looking for advice on 1M XLR’s from pre/pro to power amp.

I’m skeptical of cables and snake oil claims, but I’m trying to be open minded. I’ve not used XLR before, so I’m not replacing anything, and not looking to spend a fortune, but would like input from others who’ve been where I am.

thanks
english210

english210 - This is a lot of discussion, considering that there is usually not much price difference between the RCA & XLR versions of the same cables.

1. If your amp isn't a balanced circuit, it makes no difference.

2. With balanced circuits, you may get a slightly better signal-to-noise ratio with XLR... with the emphasis on SLIGHTLY.  This can be a much bigger difference with very long runs of cable.

3.The Cable Company's lending library is an excellent suggestion. As always, best to hear (anything) in your own system before buying.

My suggestion for a bargain XLR (or RCA) interconnect is UIT (about $800/pr).  Just discovered them and I'm very impressed, esp. at that price-point.

I hope that helps.

Post removed 
ron1319
Why replug all cables in a system before auditioning new ones?
-To make sure the connection is sound in the first place, maybe?
Ha ha, "sound", I made a pun! ;-)
I run a Pass preamp and a Pass amp- using this gear, XLR interconnects proved to be noticeably quieter than RCA interconnects. In my book, quieter is better. 

Why replug all cables in a system before auditioning new ones?  
To establish a baseline fresh connection. Unless a connection is gas tight, contaminants in the air can degrade the sound. 

Replugging should abrade these contaminants and restore fresh connections.

New connectors can have manufacturing 'goo' / lubricants, so it's always a good idea to polish well with a clean cloth before plugging into your gear.

DITTO fuse holders! and any other unsoldered internal connection e.g. crimped jumpers so popular today. Once the warranty is up, I solder them!