Wilson Alexandria X2s in small room

I'm thinking of getting a pair of Wilson Alexandria X-2s. I'm wondering how they will sound in my 13.5 x 22 x 7 foot listening room. I've talked with Wilson and they thought they'ed work. Some dealers I've talked with are not as positive, thinking they will overpower my room. My room has been acoustically treated with Auralex LNRD bass traps in all four corners. I also use diffusors and 6 Room Lens to tune my room which features a pair of Revel Salons and a pair of Revel Sub 30 subwoofers. I figure my current system has about the same radiating area as the Wilsons. A friend has Legacy Focus 20/20s which generate large amounts of bass also, and he's used them successfully in small rooms with tweeks. Will I need to use a unit like the Rives PARC to get the best from these speakers? Or will they fit in with the usual amount of setup care that my Salons took?
Any opinions or educated guesses?
Thanks,
Steve
128x128sgr
I have not heard the X-2s, so I cannot specifically comment on them. But, as a general observation, one cannot determine if a speaker will work in a particular room just based on the size of the speaker. I've heard lots of big speakers work well in very tiny rooms.

I do know that the X-2 is highly adjustable so that the speakers can be made to align and focus at a range of distances. That means that one is not forced to sit in a narrow range of distance from the speaker. It is therefore not physically limited to playing in a big space with the listener well back of the speaker.

Oviously, a speaker with limited output cannot be made to play loudly in a huge room, but the reverse situation -- a big speaker can play in a tiny room -- is a different matter. In that circumstance, whether or not a speaker can play "small" has to do with whether it resolves properly and has proper dynamics when it is asked to play at lower volumes. A lot of speakers, big and small cannot properly do this. They sound lifeless and anemic at low volume. I have no idea if the X-2 is one of these, but one cannot tell by looking at its size.
The dealers who said the speakers will overpower your room are right. Acoustic treatment is no substitute for room volume when it comes to big cones moving air, although it is better than electronic EQ such as the one you mentioned.
Considering the price of the Alexandria (well over 100 grand new) and the possible limitations of your existing listening room, have you given consideration to purchasing something like the Wilson Maxx 2 and taking the cost savings between the Alex and the Maxx at roughly $65,000 and BUILDING a new dedicated listening room to your house? Obviously I have no idea if this is possible in your situation but if so you could have a dedicated listening room built to Wilson's specifications for the Maxx 2. Might be worth asking Wilson if an acoustically designed listening room to the Maxx's specifications would outperform the Alexandria in your currently "compromised" space. Just a thought but when your talking about that kind of money, room construction can become a component as well.
I think that the biggest problem with your room may be the low ceiling. It looks like you have diffusion up there now, but you might find that absorbtion would be more effective. Also, the Auralex bass traps are woefully ineffective at frequencies <100hz where room modes and nulls will be strongest. I recommend that you look at RealTraps bass traps which can be effective down to 50hz.

http://www.realtraps.com/data.htm

As far as the X-2's go, bear in mind that many of them are sold in Asian markets where rooms are typically smaller than in the USA, and Wilson certainly takes this into account with the design (notice the venting for the bass is in the front rather than the rear of the cabinet, allowing for closer placement to the wall). However, given your low ceiling, perhaps a line-array type speaker such as the Dali egaline would work better in your room as these types of designs minimize floor and ceiling reflections.