Audiophile LP's

That title sounds pretty general but I didn't know how else to name it to attract some attention. For several decades in the production of vinyl the sound quality has widely varied due to recording process, pressing, and other factors. I remember years ago that some commonly available LP's were also available in a much higher quality (and a higher price) than the standard LP and offered superior sound quality. Can't remember all the terms to describe these records but direct-to-disk, master recording, and probably a few others I can't recall. Back then I never purchased any of those since when the needle dropped and music was there what else mattered? To buy a record at 2 or 3 times the standard price didn't make sense to anyone I knew at the time.
My question....I know that numerous sellers on the web list LP's for sell as "mastered", "audiophile", and the like. Back in the day were current sellers offering these truly superior records just trying a ripoff? If not, are most of the ones still in existence only are owned by private collectors?

jrpnde
@2channel8 for reference sound on folk music you are far better off seeking out original 60s and early 70s pressings. Pink Label Islands for example are almost without exception superb and the best way to listen to Fairport and Denny. Likewise the original pressings of Pentagle, Bert Jansch, ISB and rarities like Heron. Being folk music don’t look hear for the greatest in dynamics or slam but for artful reproduction of real musicians in space (even outside pace Heron) these LPs are hard to beat

some of my favorites here
https://www.audiostream.com/content/lovely-recordings-hosted-simon-goodall
Has anyone mentioned the Water Lily Acoustics, ’A Meeting By The River’? All SE tubed recording chain, to a two track, 1 Inch RTR and no effects or compression. Gorgeous miking/mixing/sound and natural hall ambiance. Won a Grammy.  Not certain if the pressings are as good now, as when it came out, BUT- still available.
Blue Öyster Cult: Agents of Fortune (CBS UK 1976).
Bought it for Xmas 1976. Years later when I first listened it with true HQ cartridge I was blown away as the whole sound/music space became visible with unbelievable refined and nuanced sound in mid and high register especially... suddenly Albert Bouchard´s symbals filled the landscape, dancing and shining and sparkling as if the sound came from another another world. Buck Dharma´s solo on "Don´t fear the Reaper" raised straight into the high sky and cut like a scythe, it was both terrifying and very beautiful at the same time. The sound is nothing but absolutely fantastic. To make it better is a very hard job, for any record manufacturer of today. Actually I tried one "180 g high quality" reissue but sold it shortly afterwards.
I have a couple of other rock albums which actually are like audiophile quality so I don´t need "audiophile quality" LPs to judge my system.

@rauliruegas R. I understand from your posts that you own thousands of LP music. I only have a few hundred of my "wanted" albums, but I haven't been collecting as long as yourself. What are you going to do with all of your collection, and of obvious quality, when you pass. It is an inconvenient question, but one I have been to confront, but how do you enjoy each? Is it the quest of owning quality that gives you pride, equal with hearing the sound each plays? I would dearly love to own and enviable collection, to select any music that one wants to hear. Wonderful! I truly envy you and your library. I also equally enjoy your contributions. Thanks R.