Audiophile LP's

That title sounds pretty general but I didn't know how else to name it to attract some attention. For several decades in the production of vinyl the sound quality has widely varied due to recording process, pressing, and other factors. I remember years ago that some commonly available LP's were also available in a much higher quality (and a higher price) than the standard LP and offered superior sound quality. Can't remember all the terms to describe these records but direct-to-disk, master recording, and probably a few others I can't recall. Back then I never purchased any of those since when the needle dropped and music was there what else mattered? To buy a record at 2 or 3 times the standard price didn't make sense to anyone I knew at the time.
My question....I know that numerous sellers on the web list LP's for sell as "mastered", "audiophile", and the like. Back in the day were current sellers offering these truly superior records just trying a ripoff? If not, are most of the ones still in existence only are owned by private collectors?

jrpnde
Just checked my "Audiophile" section, most of which I bought in the '70s and '80s. Labels:
- Pierre Verany -- some absolutely terrific albums with extremely realistic sound. Not really an audiophile label, but terrific sound revered in audiophile circles back in the day.
Proprius - Some of my favorites for sound and music, including Cantate Domino (now a Christmas standard in our family) and Jazz at the Pawnshop (as real a live jazz performance album as I've heard).
M&K Realtime - For Duke has been a go-to demo disc for me for many years -- the horns are right there in your room.
Opus 3 - A series of what they called "test records" for various sonic attributes like timbre and ambience. Terrific, natural sound, sometimes interesting material.
Ambience Recordings - Nice sound, so-so material.
East Wind - ditto
- Direct-Disk -- several albums with excellent sound, not so crazy about the music. 
Oops, skipped:
- Umbrella, several releases with killer sound
- Ambience Recordings
- East Wind
I'm always on the lookout for great vinyl, ever since I found MFSL's Dark Side of the Moon. But it's been tough finding Rock, R&B, Folk; etc, music That is both well recorded and worthy of higher resolution. The content has to have some micro-detail and dynamics to begin with.
After reading the first few posts in this thread, I checked the Sheffield site. All of the titles that caught my eye are no longer available on vinyl!
On the RR site I've only found Fiona Boyes. (I may have to get this.)
So the search continues.
Just before signing in here I happened to order Elvis Costello's Bread & Chocolate and Bette Midler's first album from the MFSL sale that Music Direct is having. But the motivation here is more the 50% off than the expectation of any WOW moments.
So I'll comb through the rest of the posts for recommended vinyl that I would want to listen to and can ACTUALLY BUY.

My contribution? The Other Side Of Desire by Ricki Lee Jones on TOSOD records. Must be her own label. I use "Feet On The Ground" as my reference track for speaker placement. The sound-stage is very wide and deep, the dynamic range is as well. I also really like the song.
@2channel8 for reference sound on folk music you are far better off seeking out original 60s and early 70s pressings. Pink Label Islands for example are almost without exception superb and the best way to listen to Fairport and Denny. Likewise the original pressings of Pentagle, Bert Jansch, ISB and rarities like Heron. Being folk music don’t look hear for the greatest in dynamics or slam but for artful reproduction of real musicians in space (even outside pace Heron) these LPs are hard to beat

some of my favorites here
https://www.audiostream.com/content/lovely-recordings-hosted-simon-goodall