How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
Imagine that with LDRs
You can get more linear response with a Baxandall control FWIW.
Post removed 
I installed a Hattor XLR late Friday. It took about an hour to begin sounding good, and maybe just now has hit its sweet spot. It certainly  solved most of the problems driving the 105 direct.

It has a lot more VC control, in addition to a significantly reduced noise floor and a much bigger sound stage. I was surprised by how much bass was missing from the 105 direct to amps.

If your budget is in the ~ $1000 range, I highly recommend it, BUT, it is such a microscope that it will expose lessor kit in your system. After a day with a Cullen power cord and PS Audio XLRs, I switched to Surf Cables XLRs (great audio bargain) and WireWorld PC. These significantly warmed up the sound. Pretty sure my Emerald Physics class D 100.2 SE amps need replacing now. Guessing the chips are 2-3 generations old.
Post removed 
Post removed