Getting into Tube Equipment

Hey there,

I have been gradually getting into vinyl and hi-fi for a while now. I mostly listen to folk, country, and some bluesy-rock music. Examples include the Grateful Dead, Sturgill Simpson, John Denver, and the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

I have been forward thinking about audio equipment I would like to have in the future. The components I am most eager to upgrade are my amp and phono preamp. For the amp, I am very interested in one of the Dynaco clones people are selling like the ST-70, ST-120 or the M-125 by Bob Latino. However, my first order of business will have to be getting a phono preamp with a volume control because these amps do not have a volume control. I would like to preface, I am not independently wealthy and do not expect to be in my life. Therefore, a $12,000 stereo setup does not seem like a reasonable option for me.

Can anyone please give me direction on either getting a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS or a used EAR 834P?

Additionally, If I could get some direction on an amp, it would be useful. Right now I own the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers and I really love them. The only thing I can see upgrading to is a pair of used Harbeth Super hl5plus speakers but this would be in the more distant future. Based on what I currently have and will be using for awhile, as well as my future considerations, are any of the amps I am considering a best fit? 

-Thomas
128x128captainblackleg
Captain a question are you 100% vinyl and if so do you envision going digital at any point? If so your best options would be either a full function preamp with phono or an outboard phono stage and integrated amp. What amp are you using now? If you can do this in stages its a good way to stretch things out. A $6-10K budget is certainly reasonable and lots of good deals to be had secondhand.
I would investigate the following:

1.  Rogue Pharaoh - Integrated amp, Class D 175wpc, 2-12au7 preamp/headphone tubes, and dead silent.  I upgraded the stock tubes to a pair of NOS Amperex "Medical Grade" tubes ($350) and it set the Pharaoh free!  Perfect for less efficient speakers (I have Revel M106).  Made in Pennsylvania by some very cool and dedicated people who deserve the respect they've earned over the years.  $3500 new.  $2500 used if you can find one (few are for sale - ever).  My total with NOS tube upgrade around $3000

2.  Pro-ject Tube Box DS2 - SMREX13 is on point regardings phono preamp volume vs preamp.  I continue to be amazed with the DS2 (also upgrade to NOS Amperex BB 12ax7) and want to point out to everyone that the variable cartridge loading for MC carts on the DS2 IS THE BOMB!  When listening to vinyl, I set the relative volume on the Pharaoh for the album in play and then adjust the cart loading up or down depending on the music playing.  For those musicians out there, the loaded on a MC cart has a similar effect as the "presence" on a guitar amp.  I paid $650 for a new DS2 and another $350 for the NOS tube upgrade.  My total around $1000.

3.  Clearaudio Concept w/MMC - This TT is without question the best value in it's class.  I have the basic Concept TT which I bought (store demo) for $1200 w/MMag cart - then tracked down the Concept MC cart and paid $730 for it new.  The MC cart with the DS2 has opened my ears to a level of audio reproduction never before encountered. My total for TT and MCC around $2000

4.  Revel Speakers - I love my M106's but there's a few others that warrant investigation as I'm sure others will note.  These can be had for around $2K (with stands) - if you hunt hard enough.  I also purchased a Revel B110 Subwoofer (used for $1000) and, in hindsight, should have gone after the floor standing vs bookshelf approach (the wife wouldn't have "big ugly speakers" - period).  My total for speakers is around $3000. 

5.  I have Emotiva and Oppo disk players and Emotiva cables of all sorts.

6.  Last but not least - if you haven't checked out the OPPO openback headphones for $400 - DO SO!  OPPO is going out of business and the $400 headphones are worth every penny.

I'm in for around $10K - and the result is worth every bit of effort and treasure.  For the record - those of you who think you can just stroll into the local HiFi shop and get exposed to all the reasonable options available - Not going to happen.  Best of luck in your hunt for "the sound" ;)  
Awesome, all good information.

Jond, I am only into vinyl. My current amp is nothing special, I have a Dayton Audio APA150.
My impression of the old Dynaco stuff was the appeal was in those wanting to modify them. Back when they could be had for a song. 

Not a bad place to start, but for just sound quality, it's easy to do better...the list of tube amps in all price ranges is too big to comprehend.

Is there local stereo shops you could visit, buy from? Sometimes...MOST of the time, in person is the best way to go. You get to hear it, likely try it out at home. MUCH much easier to decide what you like that way. 

It's as much a discoverey as it is a matter of research, the more of an open mind you have, the more possibilities.