Which material sounds better for speakers construction? Wood, Ply or MDF?

Im guessing they use mdf these days because its cheaper.

vinny55
Most materials can be made non-resonant/acoustically inert, when(as mentioned above) implementation, bracing, and thickness/layering are given proper attention.  Fiberboard also comes in a variety of densities(not just MDF).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberboard
@ebm 

The A1 is a much much better value and realistic speaker to live with than the S1 Mk II , so I'm not surprised. 

Important to note, that it's easy to make fewer speakers than you think you will sell, so you can later announce you are sold out! Generates great hype. 

Having said that, while I do think Magico's are overpriced in general, they at least have some of the smoothest frequency responses, with consistently great dispersion in a "high end" speaker I've heard. They are one of the most consistent sounding "high end" speaker brands. I think they tune a little bright, and that the prices are astronomic, but otherwise not bad speakers.

Best,

E
I agree the A1 is much better than the S1 mk2 having heard both at Axpona this year.I love the Magico aura been in the hobby 50 years i have had many speakers including the Magico mini 2s made out of layers of Baltic Birch one of the best made wooden speaker cabinets.With the Magico aluminum  cabinet you must get the best amp and  preamp also you must use the best copper speaker wire.I have had Maggies 1Ds mg 3s  and Avalon to name a few.I don't clam to know everything but i have learned a few things  over the years.It however takes a lot of effort to make Magico sound its best.I totally agree there are many great speakers out there of which Magico is just one.Overpriced is not a problem for me however i never paid list price on any speakers.What great speakers do you have?Good luck in this great hobby.
3 things make a great speaker the cabinet,the crossover and the drivers of which Magico makes the cabinet and most of the drivers not the tweeter however.Oh well thats my opinion.Good luck.
Post removed