Audiophile LP's

That title sounds pretty general but I didn't know how else to name it to attract some attention. For several decades in the production of vinyl the sound quality has widely varied due to recording process, pressing, and other factors. I remember years ago that some commonly available LP's were also available in a much higher quality (and a higher price) than the standard LP and offered superior sound quality. Can't remember all the terms to describe these records but direct-to-disk, master recording, and probably a few others I can't recall. Back then I never purchased any of those since when the needle dropped and music was there what else mattered? To buy a record at 2 or 3 times the standard price didn't make sense to anyone I knew at the time.
My question....I know that numerous sellers on the web list LP's for sell as "mastered", "audiophile", and the like. Back in the day were current sellers offering these truly superior records just trying a ripoff? If not, are most of the ones still in existence only are owned by private collectors?

jrpnde
The first pressings of RCA Victor's legendary 'Shaded Dog' stereo LPs were vastly superior to later pressings, especially if the performance was not crammed into the full 30 to 33 minutes per side. Two perfect examples are the original RCA LSC-2068, the Rachmaninov Second Piano Concerto with Artur Rubinstein, Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony, and RCA LSC-6149, a complete recording of Puccini's Turandot. The Rachmaninov was originally just that single concerto without its later Liszt Concerto No. 1 companion piece, and the placement of the piano and the orchestra was perfectly captured in a concert hall ambience; the opera set was superb, with characters moving about as if on stage, and absolutely no distortion, even in the loudest choral and orchestral climaxes. Why did later pressings sound so distorted and undefined?
Dear friends: I forgot these superb labels: Water lily, Wilson Audio ( we have to remember is that D.Wilson first than all is a recoprding engineer way before he designed Wilson speakers. ) a must to have/listen it's an outstanding experience,  S2S Sense Corporation, Banshee Empire.

All the labels I named in this thread have astonishing quality recorded levels and second to none.

Those " one " side LP recordings are something  2die4.

R.
Dear friends: I can see and unsderstand that many of us are still facinated  by the RCA SD, Mercury, London, Decca and the like. As a fact I own " thousands " of them and many are really good but if what we are looking for is just top quality recordings ( no matters kind/genre/style of music. ) then we have to listen at least  these two LPs:

Kit Chan by Banshee Empire Pte.   This one was mastered by D.Sax ( whom unfortunatelly pass away. ) and pre-mastered in Germany by Pauler Acoustics DMM process.

Youn Sun Nah by ACT as the other made it in Germany. This talent singer ( player too. ) recorded 3 albuns/fourLPs try to find out at least her first Same Girl ( I own all. ).

Both coming from different rpoducers/engineers but shares similar quality characteristics: dead silence vynil during play ( and I mean it ), not even in between tracks or at the begins and end of the LP can listen any any noise of any kind as if we are listening a CD, the recordings has a truly natural presentation where we can detect we are really hearing a LP ( no not as a live event but...),  the way the engineers choosed the microphones positions and quality of the mics just first rate, seems to me that these recordings were recorded more as a digital processing than analog, rythm and tonal balance is outstanding as are the transient and decay time, dynamic of notes and harmonics are so " true " that I want /desire that every recording could sounds as these ones, are so near of D2D but with out noises that I can't explain exactly what I'm listening through and no idea of the recording proccess.

Obviously that these recordings are new recordings taking advantage of today more advanced technology than in the vintage times. No, I'm not dimish in any way the very good vintage LPs I named but always is something really fresh that we can have access to that kind of quality levels.
Obviously that as better your resolution and quality performance levels of your audio system as better will be your experiences with.

Now, I wonder  why  the ones recording manufacturers can't make  that same quality level on its recordings.
If we put any of the Analogue Productions recordings ( even the D2D ) against those both recordings there is no contest and even we can say for sure that those AP recordings are pure bs. Difference is " order of magnitud ".

Some recordings in the labels I named in my posts are near both reference LPs . 

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
If you really want your sox blown off, listen to the first and only Flim & the BBs vinyl album.  It's a sonic revelation.  One of my preferred 'showoff' albums to the local doubters...who become believers when the record ends.
The Linda Ronstadt big band recordings are fantastic sound quality.  Doug Sax Mastering as he mastered many of Lindas Recordings