Want To Hear How Amazing Computer Audio Can Be?

At the end of last year I decided to make the leap of faith from CD to computer audio, the results have been staggering! I am now 100% convinced this is the best option to achieve studio quality sound in the home.

If you want to hear just how good computer audio can be, download the, for free, HD Tracks 2013 24/96 FLAC sampler and listen to tracks 1 and 5 (all 10 tracks are amazing, these just happen to be my favorites). I have never heard my HiFi system sound this good, every bit as good as anything I have heard before at various HiFi shows over the years. I am not going to get into a subjective discussion on why my system sounds so good (bass extension, dynamic range, resolution etc., etc.), just listen for yourself.

My system is comprised of a MacBook Air (2012 MY running OSX 10.8.3) with Audirvana Plus, via USB to a MF V-Link 24/96 USB to S/PDIF converter, feeding a Krell HTS 7.1 (DAC and volume control) into a Krell KSA-250 power amp and B&W N801 speakers. I could not be happier, OK I exaggerate somewhat, if money were no object I am sure some changes would be made!

Forgot to mention, the cable to the Krell HTS 7.1 from the MF V-Link is Toslink, sounds better than digital coax to me.
mgattmch
I have been using a AOIP solution for two years the Focusrite Red Net 3 with the Dante virtual soundcard  installed on my Mac Mini.
Steve,
  I love to hear about musically better ways to do things, but I am too technically challenged to figure how to use your idea.
   Let’s start with my soon to arrive Audio Alchemy USB DAC.  It doesn’t have an Ethernet port.  It does have a USB port.   Theoretically, how would I “take it to the next level”?

It's actually easier to use Ethernet than USB.  You just plug and play.  The player software finds the players on the network automatically.

If you want to improve your USB, then you have a couple of options:

1) get a USB isolator (USB port hub) for the USB cable

https://www.ciunas.biz/ciunas-audio-dac-converter

2) convert USB to Ethernet by putting an Ethernet to USB converter ahead of the DAC - see:

https://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html

This is a very popular solution with multiple levels of upgrade.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio