oppo 205 vs sepearate DAC or CD player.. should I bother?

I am currently using an Oppo 205 as my digital source, and I primarily listen from classic Rock to heavier music. Sound Garden, NIN etc.

Are differences in these recordings even worth going for a stand alone CD player or DAC?

I recently picked up a ML 326S pre, and I am tempted to look for a used 390S to match. The 512 is way out of the budget. I am thinking 2-3k.

System is listed under my systems.

thanks.

Brian

no_money
@audioengr Generally speaking; Do most high end one box transports/dacs (such as Esoteric; EMM Labs) running just analog outs have far less jitter than a stock Oppo to an external dac?

Yes, unless you insert a reclocker like a Synchro-Mesh.

One would need a high end to strip the jitter when it reaches the Dac?

Some DACs will reclock internally and reduce the jitter, but the effectiveness of these is mixed.  You are basically listening to a Master Clock inside the DAC that you have no control over.  You don't know how much jitter you are getting.

At least with an external reclocker, you know how much jitter you are feeding the DAC and you can reduce it as much as you like by upgrading coax cables and power supplies.

You also have the huge advantage of galvanic isolation of the reclocker.  If the DAC is galvanically isolated, this can add jitter.  Not so in the external reclocker.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

I am taking the 37 / 360S combo home to compare over the weekend.

I used to mod the 37.  It needs it badly IMO.  The Synchro-Mesh reclocker and good cables will make a HUGE difference with these.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

I really like The ML house sound, not sure how far I want to drift from it. What mods were done?
i have an AES Audioquest Wild on loan, going to try a Shunyata as well. 

The ML mods were similar to my standard Transport mods:

1) replace the Master Clock with a better oscillator and supporting circuits

2) improve power to the Master Clock circuits

3) redesign the S/PDIF output stage so that it is fast and precisely matched to 75 ohms output impedance

If you want a really good S/PDIF cable:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155017.0

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154425.0

High-performance S/DIF cables are BNC-BNC cables with RCA adapters as needed.  RCA connectors can never properly terminate 75 ohm coax cables.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio