BaerWald vs VPI setup protractors

Which is more accurate? Recently I decided to check my setup on a Scout using both the VPI gauge and a Baerwald protractor. Using the Baerwald the overhang is dead on in both locations, using the VPI the stylus misses the mark forward by about half a millimeter. Can this small amount of variance have a sonic impact? Has anyone else found this differene and what was your solution? 
128x128gillatgh
@2channel8,

The Conrad Hoffman protractor includes two reference lines for measuring print accuracy, both vertical and horizontal. After printing one on standard office paper, using my cheapo Brother printer, I measured the lines with my Mitutoyo vernier calipers - they were absolutely perfect.

I happen to own the DB systems protractor. It can indeed be used to align the cantilever, but ultimately, I find it's no more useful than a basic 2-point protractor.
Dear @gillatgh and friends: That no sense post by @syntax only speaks about his extremely high ignorance levels in that specific alignment regards.

Look:

if we take a 254mm as the effectuive length on a pivoted tonearm the alignment calculations with Löfgren A (Baerwald), Löfgren B and Stevenson A shows what we can look in this VE calculator through the charts:

https://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_alignment_calculator_pro.php?arm1=Arm+1&l1=el&a1lv=254&a...

taking the results between null points we can observe that between Löfgren A(Baerwald) and Löfgren B the higher distortion level difference in between these alignments is around:  0.28%, that's around 85mm in the recorded groves area.

Which is the distortions down there?:  Löfgren A  : 0.57% and Lófgren B:  0.39% so the difference in between is only: 0.18% in that precise groove and that gentleman said produce a " sonic impact " that could means he can hear it !

Now, I said that if any two decent kind of alignments are made it in accurate way it's almost imposible that we can listen that " soniic impact " because the distortion% levels are changing at each single groove.

If ( example ) we take Löfgren B difference between 85mm  and 86mm the distortion levbel is just unlistable for no one because at 86mm the distortion level is: 0.393%

whom can detect ( human been. ) a diference of only: 0.003 ! ! and this trend goes groove after groove and is imposible to detect through all the LP recorded surface that " sonic impact ".

We can detect a sonic impact when we use that stupid Stevenson A alignment becvause the distoertion level differences are way higher than both Löfgren alignments.

If we analize against VPI alignment the differences are extremely low as between Löfgren A and B.

People think that because an audiophile owns a megabuck ( $$$$ ) audio system he must be an expert but that gentleman is everything you want but an expert and not only that here are facts that proves his ignorance level. What he shows in your system is that he is a whealthy gentleman and nothing more than that.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
@rauliruegas,

I wouldn’t call someone ignorant because he takes a different point of view than you do. There is no one "correct" way to set HTA. There is no consensus on what theoretical distortions can be heard. There’s no consensus as to whether a theoretical distortion on an outside groove is more or less disturbing than the same theoretical distortion on an inside groove. There is no consensus about the relative importance of HTA, azimuth and SRA. Though I try to set Lofgren A as close as possible, I am amused with all the talk here about extreme precision. One protractor, believe it or not, actually has a vernier gauge.

Case in point, HW of VPI, who I think has been accepted an a perceptive analog listener by the audio community, has written that he prefers to listen to an HTA setup that is quite far from the conventional alternatives. IIRC he prefers the 2 tangencies to be set: one relatively close in the inner grooves and one outside the grooves entirely. This yields high theoretical distortion numbers. Apparently, though, his hearing perception is most disturbed by the crossover from inside to outside the tangency, so he limits it to only one per record side. He also writes that regardless of the theoretical distortion measure, distortions nearer to the inside grooves are more disturbing to the listener.

As I wrote earlier, there being no correct HTA, each person is free to put the distortions where thy want. Since there is HTA distortion all over the disk, except at one or two grooves, your admonition: "enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS" is kind of ridiculous in this context.
Dear @melm : What did you not understand of what I posted?:

"  0.18% in that precise groove and that gentleman said produce a " sonic impact " that could means he can hear it ! .................................................................... whom can detect ( human been. ) a diference of only: 0.003 ! ! and this trend goes groove after groove and is imposiible...."

@melm , the noise floor of your audio system is way higher than that distortion levels and by a wide marging.

Obviously that only an ignorant of those facts can posted as that gentleman on that OP regards. 

And an ignorant person is that who knows nothing on a specific subject like the one we are dialoging here.

And if you insit in posts as your latest then you are an ignorant too and not because you don't agree with me but because you can't prove I'm wrong. Those values were measured through the alignment calculations.

Come on melm.

R.
If I was as (informed) as you all on this subject, I'd be more interested in listening/vs/arguing.