What's happened to the used high end market recently?? Sales are tough....:0(

The heading says it all!! What do you guys think is the reason that the sales in the used high end market have gone soft??
Prices too high? Economy too slow?? Stock market too volatile?? Something else??

Thoughts....
128x128daveyf
Few have purchased and sold as much as me on this site since it started many years ago. Stuff is just not moving in general and prices are at all time lows. It is a clear reflection of our changing hobby. High End Audio as we have known it is indeed dying. Is it going to be gone for good? No.  It is and will continue to change. Most of us are just fed up with the over inflated prices and have either opted out, gone DIY, or found gear as good for 1/10 the price of typical high end stuff. The discounts my audio friends are getting their gear for is amazing. 25% of list price on top notch gear is not uncommon today. This is not a good time to sell gear.  Always exceptions for many good reasons, but the general trend is down and down sharply.  
Well said grannyring,
It’s a buyers market deluxe for sure,I haven’t seen such low prices ever on all kinds of top notch gear in my 40 yrs in this hobby.

Even some of the rare vintage stuff,before 1980,isn’t selling that good even to Asia.

Kenny.
Guys, I promise I’m not trying to start a debate or an argument, that isn’t me. I merely try to observe measurables. I’m a hobbyist like most here and I’ve done about 20 buy/sell transactions on here this year. All were concluded with fair prices and with a fine velocity. 

High end isn’t dying like everyone is saying, its just changing. Audiogon 20 years ago was THE place but today transactions are happening on numerous websites, dealers today have their own websites. Brick and martar stores have had to change to remain relevant (or they close) because so many manufacturers have come on the scene and sell direct to the consumer. Never in the history of the high end has there been more fine gear choices to so many than today. The market is extremely fragmented though. 

I see posts on this forum discussing how the high end is dead because a mom and pop store in Fort Wayne has closed. I see posts contemplating the meaning of a pair of $100,000 speakers being introduced as further evidence that the industry is dead. Old stores that are unable or refuse to change will inevitably close. Another distribution channel will emerge and life moves ahead. People consume music differently with each generation but they do still consume. More humans are listening to music today than at any time in human history. Just because they dont listen to an esoteric vinyl pressing in a dedicated music room with 8 foot tall speakers doesn’t mean the high end is dead. Its verifiable that there are more manufacturers of 2 channel tube amps today than in 1950 and thats just 1 example. Choices abound. There are so many exceptional speakers being made today by so many diffrent manufacturers from 1 person companies all the way up in scale. Magico introduces a new $10,000 speaker last month and they are already on backorder. There are more great dacs sold today than 10 years ago....the evidence is out there.

Pricing and availability of used gear is a slippery slope. Personally, data like this must be carefully examined. Just because something is selling at a percentage you find too low doesnt mean an industry is dead, it means the free market is working. Besides, the percentages being tossed around here are relevant if all the data were available. The 10% speaker cable example we would need to know the original list, the actual price your friend paid and the brand and type of cable to truly determine what happened. I know of nothing good that drops 90% in 1 year. The other example of 25% off new gear through a dealer on a piece of gear once would have been viewed by many on this site as excellent news. Maybe it would have been digested by hobbyists as “its about time”. What we know about bricks and mortar shops is that distribution channel typically marked up their products by almost double. When the manufacturer direct sales model emerged that carried with it the potential for the producer to offer something new for almost half price compared to a brick and martar product. Again, that would have been hailed as a triumph for the consumer.

When a new manufacturer comes on the scene with a new product and he/she sells it direct, I don’t see posts like “another nail in the coffin of high end”. Just because the old business model hobbyist or manufacturer doesn’t like the way the new business model hobbyists or manufacturers are doing business doesn’t make the high end market dead, it just makes it different. EVERY industry is in a constant state of change. I will say though that if your audio world was centered around that shop in Fort Wayne, then your perspective is accurate....your high end world is dying. But also at least concede that from your couch in Fort Wayne, you can assemble a complete world class system that will be shipped to your door in a few days with just a few clicks on your computer. That’s actually terrific news for the consumption of music....its accessable to virtually anyone at every price point, new or used.
@ghasley 

Everything you said in your above post makes some sense. However, I personally have NEVER stated that HEA is dead. The industry is certainly changing and is certainly contracting, at least in comparison to what it was in its hey day. ( Probably in the late 80's or early 90's) 
The fact is that there are certainly some VERY overpriced pieces for sale on all of these web sites...and in the B&M outlets. OTOH, I also notice that if something is considered well priced, its marketing time is usually fairly short. The lower priced items definitely have a larger market demographic than the higher priced items ( generally regardless of the discount from new pricing). 
My OP was asking what happened to the USED high end market and ....recently.
Post removed