BaerWald vs VPI setup protractors

Which is more accurate? Recently I decided to check my setup on a Scout using both the VPI gauge and a Baerwald protractor. Using the Baerwald the overhang is dead on in both locations, using the VPI the stylus misses the mark forward by about half a millimeter. Can this small amount of variance have a sonic impact? Has anyone else found this differene and what was your solution? 
128x128gillatgh
Thanks all, I appreciate everyone's input and gather from it that there are many ways to obtain desired results. There seem to be equal numbers of respondents in all camps. No one is wrong using their preferred protractor although I'm  intrigued with the mirror protractor.  May have to try that. I'm perfectly content with my set up and it sounds fabulous. Unfortunately no one answered my question. 

Dear @gillatgh:  """  about half a millimeter. Can this small amount of variance have a sonic impact? """

none.  Think on this: the difference between Löfgren A(Baerwald as you said. ) and Löfgren B is around that half mm in the overhang value with the same offset angle.

Differences in tracking error between both kind of alignments are at minimum both Löfgren alignments shows traking error distortions and the real true difference is where those distortions happens, this is before, after in between alignment null points. What changes is where its happening on each Löfgren alignment type.

Now, overall and does not matters if Löfgren A or B Or VPI the distortion level is changing at each single groove through the LP surface and this means that no one can detect a true difference ( with sonic impact as you said. ) due that changes at each single groove are so so to small. You can measure but can't detect tghose so small changes no matter what.

So, stay with VPI alignment . If VPI and Löfgren/Baerwald alignments were made it in accurate way then no sonic impact detectable for you.

Regards,
R.
Dear @melm @lewm : """  Audiophile insecurity and smart promotion drives many hobbyists to the most expensive devices when the simple one will do the job. """

That statement is correct, the issue is why audiophiles go or gone looking for those protractors including the very expensive ones.

@cleeds posted something critical for that issue :  "  That precision is iffy and varies depending on the gauge and the arm. A dedicated gauge doesn’t suffer that problem. "

The key words there are: DEDICATED GAUGE:

that is a MAIN responsability of any tonearm manufacturer, it's him whom must gives that dedicated gauge along each tonearm to each of their customers as VPI is doing it.

The problem is that almost all of us, no, all of us through the years accepted ( by ignorance. ) to bougth/buy tonearms with a " ridiculous " align gauge that were totally non-accurated.

As time pass on we all started to learn step by step the critical importance of accuracy when we do our tonearm/TT/cartridge geometry alignment parameters set up and was through the time that we took in count that what the tonearm manufactures gave to us just is totally unaccurated and we have to look for an after market protractors.
I own no less that 15 protractors that includes all the ones named here but the more expensive and I did not buy it because I already understanded that that protractor can't gives nothing different that can help me, even can't really helps to any one.

So, it's the tonearm manufacturer whom must gives that accurated alignment gauge.

The after market protractor manufacturers took advantage from that irresponsability of the tonearm manufacturers and from our each one ignorance levels.

Even today some tonearm manufacturers and several audiophiles just understand in fully way the overall theory behind the tonearm/cartridge alignment set up.

Was Löfgren the gentleman that invented ( yes invented. ) the necessity of tonearm/cartridge accurated alignment and he gave his solutions through his mathematics ( geometry mainly. ) on those Löfgren equations.

Was from his equations where other persons try to made modifications with out real success. Baerwald is one of them where his solution is the same as the one invented by Löfgren ( A ). But was not only Baerwald whom made it something similar but other gentlemans too even Stevenson who had a similar solution to Lófgren A and other solution named Stevenson A where he made on purpose that coincide the inner null point exactly with the must inner groove distance that's a Löfgren input parameter in his equations.

So, how many kind of alignments we really need? 2 or 3 or one dedicated for one specific tonearm?

Not really, we only need one accurated Löfgren A or B alignment protractor and that's all and that is what tonearm manufacturers must have to understand and are responsable to give to each of their customers.

The input parameters in those Löfgren equations are: effective length, inner must groove distance and outer must groove distance.
Then the equations gives the alignment parameters: overhang, off-set angle, both null points and by difference P2S and that's it.

As some one posted here:  " no brain cirgury " or " rocket science ", really easy to understand.

Anything out of standard Löfgren solutions are only manipulations of those equations but nothing more and are no better than the original Löfgren solutions but at the end even if could be a sign of better alignment you can't detected if what you have was accurated set up.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
This issue of horizontal tracking angle (HTA) is an interesting one.  There is no single correct setting for a pivoted offset arm.  This is unlike azimuth where there is an unambiguously correct setting and we all try to get as close as possible.  It is also unlike SRA where (at least for each record thickness, or possibly record) there is only one correct setting.

When we deal with HTA we understand that it will be wrong most of the time except at two (or even one) radii.  So we make a choice of where we want the various levels of distortion to appear. Each of the proper names associated with HTA (including HW) prefers their distortion in another part of the record.

I am always amused when I read posts claiming that after getting the newsuperdupercustommade protractor the sound of the system blew away anything heard before.  It is sometimes alleged to have made a cheap TT sound like an expensive one.  Since we are almost always tolerating HTA tracing distortion, using instruments with medical precision is not really necessary.  But as for me, as long as I'm bothering, I try to get it as close to Lofgren A as I can.  At least it makes system evaluaton more consistent.

As I wrote earlier, I find all the fuss about HTA to be overblown.  A well received arm, the Viv Lab Rigid, is a pivoted arm without an offset and its HTA tracing distortion is probably the highest on record.  But respected reviewers write that given other positive attributes the distortion which so tortures us, and this discussion, is virtually unheard.  Go figure!

As a lover of analog, I'm more concerned with azimuth and SRA using my ears as the best instrument.