CD players = dead?

From an audiophile, sound quality perspective are CD players obsolete? Can a CD player offer better performance than an audio server / streamer? 
madavid0
Post removed 
Invariably there are those who feel they must make a declaration of the "death" of a format, as if to cross it off some mythical list.  These pronouncements generally follow some new discovery in their own system that has transformed their listening experience. Not every change in audio has to be a mic drop moment.  In my experience most of these evolutionary changes coexist with other topologies or formats for some period of time. In the case of the transition from analog to digital this "progress" is not always linear in it's development.

In the past year I have added a streamer to my system and can attest to the transformative impact it has had on my listening.  I rarely listen to CDs anymore..but I am still like a child with a new toy.  I am not about to declare all my old toys obsolete.  Just as I kept my LPs back in the eighties when everyone was bailing on vinyl I will keep my CDs...and will continue to listen to them.  At some point in the future digital streaming will be "dead" also.
johnread57Keep us posted on your Audio quest/journey. I, too, have spent time w/ the ARC CD9 in a system w/ an ARC Ref5SE preamp and Bryston 4B-SST power amp on Wilson Audio Sasha/Sophia speakers. Transparent cabling all around made for a very good audition. Regarding a spinner like the SA-10, at this level of price and performance, synergy is key.I was wondering about the matching Marantz integrated amp?Happy Listening!
A few years back I did a comparison of a Cambridge Audio CD player (800 series I think) and a PS Audio memory player. The PS Audio was far superior in my mind so I sold the Cambridge Audio. I firmly believe that stripping digital byte by byte in a CDROM drive, and then using the right digital to analog playback of the error free, bit perfect music file will always be better than the best "real time" digital streaming (actually analog streaming of digital data) in an old school Redbook transport. And cheaper too, as the exotic techniques to maintain disc rotational speeds, vibration control, and laser reflection and refraction are not needed in a CDROM, as compared with a high end CD transport. The on the fly error correction algorithms employed in most CD transports are also unnecessary, as a CDROM can read or re-read the CD as necessary to obtain an error free bit perfect copy.  

My experience with my CD collection bears this out, as the ripped files (using dBPoweramp as I went to a Bryston BDP) have never sounded better, and I hear things that I thought were missing in the CD pressing, but actually were there all the time and are clearly audible in the ripped files.  So I cannot see a real reason to keep making CD transports, and this is born out in the trends where all the high volume mass produced transports are ceasing production.