"Bookshelf" speakers designed to be placed near the wall behind them?

I'm giving up my beloved (14-year love affair) Sonus Faber Cremonas in order to reclaim valuable floor space in the living room.  Currently they are placed on the floor in front of the fireplace & hearth - our new home has pretty much everything we wanted, *except* an audio-friendly layout in the living room.

My plan is to put a pair of smaller speakers up on the hearth on either side of the fireplace.  Probably will need custom stands to get the tweeters near ear level.  The hearth is 13.5" above the floor and is about 19" deep.

My first candidate was the Wilson Audio Duettes, a speaker explicitly designed for placement in close proximity to the wall behind them, *until* I saw their price - $22k.  I'm sure they're spectacular speakers, but that's well above my retired-guy budget.  I'd like to stay at $5k or under.  So I started looking at bookshelf speakers that are either sealed-box or front-ported ...

And I came across the Aerial 5T - a $4k speaker with a 1" woven ring-dome tweeter, a 6.7" papyrus-blend woofer and a front slot-shaped port.  *And* it's specifically designed to be placed from 2" to 24" from walls.  So that's my current front-runner.

But I'd be interested to hear others' recommendations - I certainly haven't looked at all the possibilities that are out there.  So let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xmbo
@mbo
Since this guy is in your neck of the woods, you should give him a call. I’ve bought a few pairs of speakers from him and I live on the east coast!!
https://generubinaudio.com/
Youowe it to yourself to at least listen to the newest Wilson’s (the Tune Tots) - they are stunning!!! Anything else would be a very distant second. Yes, they are above your target, but worth every penny. I am amazed how much can be had with obsessive attention to detail/quality of parts in the cabinet and crossovers.
Gene Rubin Audio carries the Stirling Broadcast LS3/6.

If he has a pair available for audition give them a try.

Might be a bit over budget with the Stirling stands.

DeKay
mbo
head to one of two of my favorite places near you: Hitching Post or Sea Chest
drink the audio budget away...

sounds like you could throw  a rock and hit RV at Vandersteen in Hanford...see my Casa Pacifica system pictures for a look at some of the wild veneers available....

glad to see you are having fun in the quest !
Look Into triangle. They have very nice and good sounding monitors with front bass port. Key for success.
Regards