LCD HD TV Picture Quality Lacking

My Dad recently purchased a Sony Bravia LCD and my father-in -law just bought a Magnavox LCD. These are the 1st HD tv's I've had a chance to spend time viewing. Compared to standard televisions I find the color on both TV's to be unnatural (even after adjustments) and the pictures often lack clarity, and definition. They are fuzzy (cloudy looking). My Dad's Sony is connected to a digital HD cable box from the cable company. My father-in laws' LCD is still connected to a standard digital cable box. In the stores when I've seen true High Definition demos, like the NFL it is awesome. Are there any LCD televisions out there with natural looking color? (especially skin tones) Is this cloudy affect, lack of clarity and definition present on all these HD TV's or are there exceptions? Are there HD TV's that are clear in Non HD broadcasts? I do realize the source of the signal matters greatly, but why would my old JVC look clearer, more focused, and have more natural colors than these LCD tv's? Frankly before I shell out the cash, I want to see better performance than I saw from their TVs? Is this a question of something I heard about called "calibration."
Adjustments have been made to my Dad's TV by me and it still looks subpar unless it's an HD broadcast and some of those look unnatural too. Thanks for your thoughts.
foster_9
IMO, there is no way that the PQ problem the OP is talking about could be the result of the diff btwn 720p and 1080p, or the result of improper levels. I'd bet the price of a good steak dinner he is watching an SD signal (either digital or analog) or possibly an upconversion of SD source material to HD.
my experience thus far has been that, even with the best digital sources (I prefer satalite over what cable is doing -probably less compression, as well), especially HD DVD/Blue Ray, that most plasmas and LCD's suffer from lots of digital artifacts, depending on how good the processing and scalers and such are, that are being utilized! - among other issues. Basically, I think things have a way to go to improve in this new ALL DIGITAL world of tv's.
What I notice most when going through the line-up of flat pannels at the local chain AV stores, is lots of digital pixelization, motion artifacts, and moire problems in large video fields, even from HD sources! This is rather anoying to me, personally. I much prefered HD on analog equip over the years, consistently.
That all said, I think (hands down) the Pioneer Plasma's wipe the floor with the competition for pic quality from most any source out there currently! When I watch HD sources, especially sports on these sets, I find much more stable images, less "blocking", motion problems, and get an overall fealing of a more accurate image from Pioneer's than any other sets I've seen!
Has anyone else experienced this with the Pioneers?
The amount of HD programming by all sources; cable, dish, fios, is meager at best. I have HD Dish Network and am not all happy with the service. Can't get Directv or Fios and cable is too expensive for not much, if anything, more so I am stuck with Dish. Non hd programming looks horrible on a HD tv.

I have a Pioneer Kuro and love the picture when I can watch HD. Unfortunately there is not much too watch.
Flrnlamb I agree 100% with you on the Pioneer Plasmas. I shopped for close to a year before settling on a PDP 5080. It's a real joy to watch!
Makes sure the cable box is outputing 1080i or 720p. I know the Motorola boxes from comcast have an adjustment by pressing the power button and menun button on the box at the same time. Do a search with the model # on the box to make sure it's hooked up right. The standard def box will need to be replaced.

As for standard def, I have yet to see any hdtv look as good as my old Sony trinitron but my Sharp Aquos comes close.