Pairing Planar Speakers With A Subwoofer (Eminent Technology)

What do you think of pairing the Eminent Technology LFT 8-B planars with a pair of Rythmik F25 subwoofers?

Please check out my room on my system page. I am attempting to emulate a set of Infinity IRS Betas.

System page: https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/876

Eminent Technology LFT 8-B: http://www.eminent-tech.com/main.html

Rythmik F25 subwoofer: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F25.html

128x128mitch4t
no link yet Mitch.  They are brand new and only being shown at the shows right now.  Dealers will get theirs in a few weeks I believe.  I know about the EQ, but am not totally sure of what else they will have.  I believe the cabinets will look similar to their current model that was phased out over the last couple of months.  Do you have a Vandersteen dealer near you?  If so, get in touch and they will surly know.

I have JansZen hybrid Valentina ESLs mated to twin Rythmik 12G subs.  I think the key for my setup was a combination of settings. First, crossing over the subs just below the 30Hz level with the steepest filter slope, the bottom range of flat response for the integrated woofers on the JansZens.  

Second, setting the bass extension controls with maximum damping allowed to subs to play in a similar manner as the speaker woofers. Gettng the volume control on the subs so that the contribution felt simply like extension and not additional bass was also key. 

I ran the JanZens without subs for quite a few years before getting the subs but I wanted more impact and bass foundation.  I was afraid they would make things too thick sounding.  They don't when dialed in right.

I would think the new Vandersteen sub 3's would be a GREAT choice to mate up to them with their bass EQ.  Plus they would keep up with the speed of that speaker, which isn't easy for subs to do.
What about simplifying and getting a pair of Bob Carver Amazing Line Source speakers with his complementary Sub Rosa subwoofer and amp?
Bob Carver Amazing Line Source and Sub Rosa sub and amp

planars & cone subs don't play well together

but many do it anyway
Many dynamic powered subwoofers are very much up to the task if they have the right performance parameters *and* features. I have a pair of self-powered compact (9" cube) Mirage MM8 subwoofers that blend naturally with my Magnepan 1.7s:

• The subs are sealed enclosures with passive radiators
  • They have light, rigid 8" aluminum diaphragms with linear high-excursion surrounds
  • They have internal 1200-watt power amplifiers (which control diaphragm motion as quickly as my 200 wpc amp controls the panels)
Controls (essential to getting a good blend) include:
  • Variable crossover from 50-200 Hz
  • Variable phase control from 0 to 360 deg.
  • Variable volume control
The Magnepans roll off at about 45 Hz so I set the subs' crossovers to 50 Hz.
I place the subs for optimum bass extension and clarity. In my case the active drivers face the wall behind the main speakers, which pressure loads the bass waves and uses the back wall to reinforce volume and extension.
I adjust the subs' volume controls to match the perceived volume of the mains.

The thing that gets the whole arrangement to "pop into focus" is to set the phase controls so they sync up with the mains:
  • I use a mono recording of The Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends." In that recording, Paul McCartney's bass line is very melodic and crosses back and forth above and below the 50 Hz crossover point.
  • I set phase one sub at a time, moving the phase knob until one channel syncs up and is focused.
  • Then I do the same with the other channel.

I have used this setup of dynamic self-powered subs and a pair of Maggie panels for almost 5 years straight. The whole system sounds right in every aspect--timbre, timing, undetectable transitions, focused stereo image and soundstage, you name it.